Lister columns don't retain my set width

Lister columns can be dragged to whatever width one wants, but on changing to a different folder they snap back to some default (maybe "to fit"?)

It'd be great if they would retain the width set by the user - having somewhat poor eyesight, I set the fonts to a slightly higher point size than the default, and this results in truncated information in the "Size" and "Modified" columns (in particular). (I can "solve" this issue by using the default font size, but obviously this isn't ideal for me.) I am forever having to drag the width across to see everything, which is a bit of an irritation.

IDK.. given the myriad different columns possible, perhaps this would be a bit too much to incorporate into Opus, but it would eb nice :slight_smile:

In the main menus/toolbars, go to Folder > Folder Format and check what the column widths are set to there. They're probably set to auto-size.

Changes there may need to be saved for the folder, unless automatic formats are on. If you want to save a change for all folders, click the Save button at the bottom left (was at the top in Opus 12), and choose the appropriate options there. More detail here: Folder Formats: Quick Guide

I Can't see this option? The toolbars has as "Folder" button, which brings up "Folder options" and "Folder formats", the latter with a couple of sub-items - no matter what I choose I get the same "Command editor" window... and can't see anything about Column Widths there. See image.

Sorry if I'm being dense...

"Folder Options" in your screenshot. (It's renamed "Folder Format" in Opus 13's default toolbars, but yours have the name from Opus 12 and earlier.)

I have v 13.3 .. ??

Your toolbars date back to an earlier version, and weren't reset to the new defaults (they must have other modifications, which we don't want to trash when people upgrade).

It's not a big deal, and you can just edit the name if you want. But you may also be missing other toolbar changes.

See the upgrade tips for how to update existing toolbars. And the detailed list of what changed in the toolbars and menus to know what's changed.

I can't sort this... I did find this though, searching within "Preferences" for "Folder format":

but despite changing the width here (eg the "Modified" width was 122, I changed it to 132) it hasn't made any difference to the lister display.
Well, never mind... It's not vital!

Try Folder Formats: Quick Guide

Well.... just as an fyi, for anyone interested: IDK how, but somehow in the "Folder" menu (top screenshot above), under "Folder Formats" has appeared a new item "Format lock". Going to the top level folder, dragging the column widths as I want, then clicking that seems to have done the trick :slight_smile: