Location, location, location

At least that's what real estate agents tell us is the most important factor in choosing a home...

After deleting the Location icon from the Location bar, I was searching for its hiding place as I didn't want to reinstall DO just because of this. Jon supplied the answer here. Spelt out in detail, this means you:

Open Settings > Customize Toolbars;
Type the word path into the Filter Commands field at the bottom of this window ;

and up should come all the Path Fields:

The one that most closely seems to match the default location field is the Path Field (Recent List). Regrettably:

1. When you drag any of them onto a toolbar while in customization mode, they all display the same title, Location, so there is no way to tell them apart until you click OK to accept the change;

1. They insist on displaying the word Location on the left of the field, thus wasting valuable toolbar real estate.

Questions:

1. Is there some way to fiddle with the config so as to exclude the word "location"?
  2. How do I change the display of the default Path Field (the one that comes with the Location Bar) so that it displays breadcrumbs instead of a backslashed filepath?

Thanks again for your help here.

For (1), simply edit the location field (in Customise mode) and uncheck Show label

Regards, AB

In Customize mode, you can tell them apart by right-clicking them. The Field Type sub-menu shows you the current type of the field, and lets you change it to another type.

Thanks. I get it now...

Click Settings > Customize Toolbars, then double-click the Location icon in the Main window while the Customize window is open.

I have to say that IMHO the v9 Help guide appears to be "preaching to the converted". The text is unnecessarily condensed and lacks adequate illustrations. The result is a model of obfuscation. Usability testing is urgently needed. I hope v10 will be an improvement.

Ah, I see now, thanks Jon. To change the display of the default Location field on the Location bar from, say, default filepath to breadcrumbs:

Click Settings > Customize Toolbars;
R-click the (default) Location icon on the Location toolbar (or to whichever toolbar you moved it);
Select Field Type... and choose a Path.

No need to worry about accidentally deleting original Location field after all, since one can Cut/Copy it, or replace it with any other of the group, then Edit it and/or change its Field Type.

Makes me feel a lot better now. :slight_smile:

FWIW, the path fields you can drag out of Customize are not quite the same as the one on the default toolbar. Note the Hotkey and Args fields on Aussieboykie's screenshot (which will both be blank if you've dragged a new location field out of Customize).

To save you typing it, the Args field is:

driveroot,hidedesktopfolders,size=0+0+0+3+3

As for the manual, the v10 manual is a complete re-write, and almost finished.

Thanks again Leo for your valuable help here.
I haven't had time to look into the Arg(ument)s field yet but will do so ASAP.