Make “Rename New (All)” default copy option?

Hello! When I am modifying a file (resource editing mostly), I first create a folder called \COPIES → I then modify the file I am working on, then after I've made a few modifications on that file, I make a copy of that file by dragging-and-dropping the file over the \COPIES folder. As I continue making changes, I repeat the copying process, and so on. When the “Confirm File Replace” dialog appears, I ALWAYS choose “Rename New (All)”

Currently I have to press “CTRL + SHIFT”, then click on the “Rename New (All)” button. Is there a way to make “Rename New (All)” the default option so I can just press and hold the “CTRL” key, then drag-and-drop the file over the \COPIES folder and have “Rename New (All)” automatically chosen/activated, without requiring me to press the “CTRL + SHIFT” keys, then clicking on the “Rename New (All)” button?

Thank you for any help.

1 Like
  • Open Settings > File Types > All Files and Folders and select the Events tab.

• Double-click Drag-and-Drop + Ctrl to edit it.

• Change the command to:

Copy WhenExists=rename

(The default command for that event is Copy RenameWhenSame which has to do with creating duplicates of files in the same folder they are already in.)

1 Like

Thank you so much, Leo! That saves me a ton of time.

Hi! When I try to drag and drop images from a webpage in Chrome to DOpus, this option doesn't seem to work. A confirmation window still appears.

The instructions above probably won't affect drops from other apps that contain "virtual" files that don't really exist on disk yet, since those have to be handled specially. I don't think there is a way to change what happens with those.

Is it possible to have this feature in the future? Because I'm an image clip collector, I often need to drag and drop image clips from web pages into folders, but many of the image file names in web pages are the same, so I want DOpus to rename clips with the same file name each time. Thank you!

That makes sense. We'll look into it. Can't say for sure without looking into the details first, but I can definitely see why you'd want it for that kind of task.

Thanks for your understanding. :grinning: