Making a exact copy from one PC to another?

Hi -
I am runing the latest version of Dopus. I think I have about 1/2 of it learned but I am still stuck with an issue. I have 2 PC's. Both networked here at home ( Windows 10 Pro) I have my copy of Dirupos setup just perfect. Exactly the way I want it. But no matter what I do, I can not get it to replicate onto my second PC. I have backed up the theme and the setting's files from PC1 and extracted or installed them to PC2. I even coppied and pasted all the /dopus files:

Screenshot_1

to

C:\Users\John\AppData\Roaming\GPSoftware\Directory Opus
C:\Users\John\AppData\Local\GPSoftware\Directory Opus
C:\Program Data\GPSoftware\Directory Opus

But no matter what I do I can not get "all' of my theme and config files to do the same thing on PC#2 ???

Please help me :slight_smile:

In your configuration on the first PC there will be references to (e.g.) C:\Users\SomeUser\etc and unless the same "SomeUser" username is used on the second PC these references will be broken.

Which settings are you having trouble with?

BTW, you'd normally use Settings > Backup & Restore to copy the config between machines.

Well yes. Both PC1 and PC2 have my username C:\Users\John

But do I need to copy over more than the Diropus folders in the ../John/AppData/local and /Roaming and C:/ProgramData/Diropus ??

And yes I tried just doing a Settings > Backup & Restore to copy the config between machines. but it is not the same theme at all on PC2..... Colors are all missing and some icons... looks nothing like PC1.

Thanks

Which settings are you having trouble with?

Are you sure that the files/icons/images your theme is using are in the EXACT same place on PC2 as on PC1?

I've done this sort of setting migration very extensively on DOpus for years and years with the backup & restore function -- any time something has looked wrong it's been because some file was in the wrong location or had a wrong filename. Triple check missing assets!

Hi!

Im just throwin some ideas, because i use 2 DOpus, one on my PC, one on a USB drive. If i make a change on the USB (add a button or change some colors etc.) when i go home, i copy the folders from Pendrive:\DOPUS\ to C:\USERS\username\APPDATA\ROAMING\GPSOFT...\Directory Opus, overwriting everything. If i change something on my PC, or when a new version comes out, i copy everything vica versa, from my ROAMING folder back to my Pendrive\DOPUS\ (then doing the updated export to my USB to have the same version). I only have to watch out for my custom icons (in the DOPUS\ICONS\ , or ROAMING\GPSOFTWARE\DIR....OPUS\ICONS.

Maybe you were playing with the setting in the SETTINGS window, upper left corner -> File -> Change Configuration Mode... I only thought about this is because when i copy my config i never touch C:\Program Data\ or C:\Users\username\APPDATA\LOCAL, only in the ROAMING folder, and i find that any change i make, it fully tranfers to the desired location.

If you are using a COPY FORCE command, make sure the destination folders are not READONLY. Also, maybe on the other PC, it doesnt allow you to create or change files on the C:\ drive because you dont have full admin rights?

Edit: Oh and another thing, i always exit DOpus entirely when copying settings (with the EXIT DIRECTORY OPUS right clicking the icon in the windows tray icon section), because when i dont, DOpus may write the settings files when closed, overwriting the freshly copied settings.