Making "sort by reverse date" permanent

G'day all. LOVE DOpus but need help to make sorting files by reverse date the default setting in DO listers (dual displays dual trees).
I've done a search of the forums ("make date sort permanent") and and didn't get anywhere. Ditto the first 10 or so forum pages for likely topics. Apologies in advance if this topic has already been discussed and I've missed it. If so, please post a link?

BACKGROUND: I have always used 'date modified' sort for my files, as I reckon the older they get, the less likely I am going to re-visit that file. If I've modified them, then I expect the file to go to the top of the sort list.

I know what I want to achieve is possible in DO.
I know I can go into 'Folder Options' and set up what columns I want to display and how (ie sort by "Date (Modified)' and then set 'Reverse Order')
I click on 'Apply' and the columns in the highlighted panel show and sort how I want them to. Then 'Save for all folders + folder layouts and tabs', then OK to close the 'Folder Options' window. Ditto for the other display.

I then save DO 'Settings' > 'Set as Default Lister'.

I have tried variations on the 'saving' of settings but the result below is always the same.

When I fully exit and re-open DO the sorting has reverted to sort by 'Name' with an up arrowhead. :confused:
I.e., my sort settings apparently have not been saved correctly.
All other settings, (colours, lister layouts including my default folders, etc, etc) have been saved correctly.
BTW, the 'Lock' symbol shows 'Unlock'.

Assuming it is me and not a DO bug, what am I doing wrong and/or where am I going wrong?

I can provide screenshots, more info, if needed.
Any help and/or ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Ian

1 Like

Have you seen the Folder Formats FAQs?

1 Like

Thanks, Leo. Ummmm .... no - missed that one. :blush:
Step 1 is exactly as I have been doing.
I'll look into the step 2 process and post back later.

Again, many thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Cheers
Ian

Hmmmmm .... unfortunately I'm still stuck with opening with name sort.

OK - another piece of information.

I'm running in a 'User' account, not Admin.

As I understand it 'User accounts' aren't allowed to change files in C:\Program Files.
Does DO store settings in an 'ini' type file in C:\Program Files or in /user/applications or similar?
DO isn't giving me any warning or error messages, though.

Cheers,
Ian

Ian

Hover your mouse over the little padlock icon at the bottom of the relevant lister pane. That will show you where the current format is coming from. Once you know that, you can edit the format so that it does what you want.

Opus stores its settings in the user structure, so there is no issue with you not being defined as an administrator ID.

Regards, AB

Ahhhhh ... :thumbsup:

Thanks, AB ... that was the information I needed.
I wasn't aware that EACH source (Local, removable, network drives etc) has to be set individually.
I had believed that once set for one source it would be the same for all other drives.
NOW all is as I want it. :slight_smile:

Being relatively new to OD, I am still amazed by the fantastic flexibility to set what one wants.
For the same reasons, though, I am still learning how to do it.
Thanks to you both. It's helpful Gurus like you blokes spending your time that makes learning and understanding MUCH easier for us newbies. :smiley:

Cheers, Ian

BTW - I don't suppose the 'settings' file is locatable and text editable, by any chance?
More out of curiosity than need, because that can be done with Opera browser, for instance.

Note that you can turn those "drive type" default formats off if you don't want to have to configure them all separately.