eg

1. Dance To The Bop - Gene Vincent
  2. Martian Hop - The Ran-Dells
    how to Match and rename files
    so you get
    (1. Dance To The Bop - Gene Vincent.mp3
    (2. Martian Hop - The Ran-Dells.mp3
    with out (

i know i can do this by hand but some times there might be a 20 cd box set just dumped in one folder

just named like Dance To The Bop - Gene Vincent.mp3

no tags just file names

i found this [Command: RenameFromClipboard]( but not quite with i need

this script matchs on file count . say i have a folder that has 20 tracks i only need 10 out of 20 for cd1 and it also removed file extensions

There's a clipboard icon in the bottom right of the rename dialog that opens a menu with options to assign names from the clipboard to the current list of files.

(If the icon is disabled, turn off the macro mode checkbox directly to the left of it.)

If you need something beyond that, to make it somehow match the current files to what's in the clipboard (beyond just using line 1 for file 1, line 2 for file 2, etc.) then you'll need to specify how that might work with more information.

how to automate this BY HAND LIKE THIS
folder of files like this
Glen Campbell - Gentle On My Mind.mp3
i copy to clipboard this 1. Gentle On My Mind - Glen Campbell
paste Gentle On My Mind in to filter box do finds the file
then right click and paste 1. Gentle On My Mind - Glen Campbell does that help

can we do something with the filter box ?

thinking can we get do to match a # of words in a line
say 60% then rename with full line from clipboard
untill do runs out of lines

1. It's Four In the Morning - Faron Young
  2. Sweet Dreams (Of You) - Patsy Cline
  3. From a Jack To a King - Ned Miller
  4. I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry - Hank Williams With His Drifting

You could but I don't think it would work very well as a lot of titles have the same number of words.

I'm still a bit confused about what you're trying to do. It seems like the filenames and clipboard already have the same names?

sometimes iam working on files that have no tags
eg all i have at the start is file names

It's Four In the Morning - Faron Young.mp3

you can see that it has no track # at the start and might be a box set dumped in one folder with one the folder name giving me a a hint of album / boxset name

so i do a search on the web and find the album then listing to get the right track # or what ever the place all track in folders cd1 cd2
once i have
1.It's Four In the Morning - Faron Young.mp3 or what ever then can add tags

i ment match full words not the # of words but 60% of full words matcheed

You could try doing that with a script but my guess is your filenames and what's in the text file won't match all of the time.

Any kind of fuzzy matching is going to be harder. It'd be easier just to add the track numbers to the filenames by hand than write a script for that.

You can speed up adding track numbers by switching on manual sorting in the main file display (not the rename dialog), then drag the files into the order they are on on the CD, then select them all and click thr Rename button. You can then easily number all the files using the options in the rename dialog, which will number them in the order they were arranged into.

(More generally, if you're ripping the CDs yourself, you can configure the ripping software to do this for you in most cases.)

manual sorting could help can i do this with a button
my thinking is

have a list of files click manual sorting button opens an empty right side listter
then i could drag the files from left to right ,,, i hope you understand what i mean

i will see if i can work it out

found the Set MANUALSORT command

See the manual for a description of manual sorting mode:

https://www.gpsoft.com.au/help/opus12/index.html#!Documents/Manual_Sorting1.htm

Basically you need to manually sort your list of files, then select them and click the Rename button to open the Rename dialog, and use the clipboard button to paste in the new filenames from the clipboard.

this has done the trick for me ... UNLESS THERE IS AN EVEN BETTER WAY

set DUAL=Toggle,Vert,Remember,ToggleLayout
CreateFolder Album_new
Set MANUALSORT=on
Go Album_new