Menu Customisation

bMenu customization[/b]
I am sure many users know and use the keyboard shortcuts for menu items.
Refer to the screenshot.
The keyboard shortcuts are underlined in the pulldown menu.
e.g.
Alt-w = Show the New submenu
Alt-f = Bring up find dialog box
Alt-c = Close
etc etc.
Q1=I cannot find anywhere to customise those shortcut keys. I presume there is no place?

bShortcut keys for files[/b]
Even less likely than does there exist a similar facility to configure keyboard shortcuts for folders (or files) displayed. Again refer to screenshot. I would like to configure
Alt-e - Move cursor to the "050 EPOC Design Proposal"
Alt-t - Move cursor to the "060 Test & Acceptance Plan New Format"
Alt-v - Move cursor to the "080 CPOC Visio"
etc etc.
Q2 - I cannot find anywhere to customise such shortcut keys either. I presume there is no place?

Those of you familiar with Ultra-Edit (notepad replacement) may be familliar with this faciltiy.

Gratuitous statement: Fantastic software. Well worth the money! Espcially for keyboard lovers..

[quote="slouw"]bMenu customization[/b]

Alt-w = Show the New submenu
Alt-f = Bring up find dialog box
Alt-c = Close
etc etc.
Q1=I cannot find anywhere to customise those shortcut keys. I presume there is no place?
[/quote]

You can find it in the preferences -> customize -> keys menu, there you can assign Alt-f to the "find" command (as long the hotkey is not used by other applications, off course). As for the other shortcuts, there are lots of commands, so this most likely would be possible.

Here you can set Alt-e to the command Go "..path\050 EPOC Design Proposal", although this possibly isn´t what you exactly wanted, because the hotkey would jump there directly, without drop down menu.

If you have a drop down menu, you can activate the special key by the "&" character, so E&POC would make the "P" the special key (I don´t know how the appropriate term is for that underlined character), & so on.

Choose customize, then goto for instance File/Close.
Right click on Close and choose Edit
You see the label Close with the & sign before it
When you place this sign before, let's say the letter s and save this setting you have changed the shortcut to alt-s :wink:

bMenu customization[/b]
Ennovy's answer is probably what you want, if you want alt-X hotkeys for underlined letters. Just put & before the letter you want to be underlined and act as an alt-X hotkey.

Abr's answer lets you create standalone hotkeys which aren't limited to alt, and don't even require menu items.

There's also a third method: When you edit a menu item (as Ennovy describes) there is also a hotkey field. If you set a hotkey there then you can assign any hotkey (not just alt-X ones) to the menu item.

Hotkeys made in this way are like the ones that Abr described, except that you don't have to define the command in two places. The hotkey points to the menu item instead of a standalone command.

Hotkeys which point to menu items or toolbar buttons (which are really the same things) will appear in the Customize -> Keys list with type "Toolbar". Standalone hotkeys have type "Hotkey".

If you want, menu items can have both a hotkey and an alt-X underlined letter in their label, if you want.

bShortcut keys for files[/b]

If the Find Field is enabled (it's on by default) then you can type *V when the file display is active and Opus will hide all files that don't contain V. (You can keep typing to narrow things down further.) That gives you a very quick way to get to a particular file.

Just typing V would take you to the name that starts with V. (Nothing is hidden in that mode.)

Typing :V will select all files containing a V.

Voila! Just as I expected. Thanks. :wink: