Menu Modifiers

I would love to be able to put modifiers on Menu items in the Toolbars, to hide or disable Menus based on filetype and to easily see the options available.

I use a ton of different media conversion options, with numerous options for every single filetype, and currently the only way to quickly differentiate between those options is having them in the Context Menus. Having it in the Toolbar instead would be much preferred and would be a lot quicker, also on a touch screens, and easier to manage.

A way it could be implemented without having to completely rewrite Menus, is if Menu Buttons would have an option to show only the image, hiding the arrow and making the image and/or label act like the arrow alongside. Then any modifiers can be put on it like already the case, and it could even allow to run a script when opening the menu, automatically making a lot more possible in Opus.

@hidenosel can do that. To hide a menu (not just a button), use @hideblock before and after it, similar to how the Favorites menu is hidden on the File Display toolbar if the Favorites Bar toolbar is also turned on.

Both things documented on this page: Command modifier reference [Directory Opus Manual]

1 Like

Ah, of course! I completely forgot about that.

It's not always ideal though, not the least for requiring about 30 hideblock elements (15 of each) and the toolbar buttons shifting around as opposed to if there was a way to keep all in place and disable them instead. But it's something! :sweat_smile:

You can use @disablenosel on the individual buttons inside the menus. There isn't a way to disable the menu itself.

That is the issue and wish at hand, unfortunately. With all of the Menus visibly enabled even if only one has enabled buttons within, it takes from seeing which options are available and in turn from the productivity. Hence the only alternative I was able to think of that somewhat comes close is having the options within the Context Menus instead, but Toolbar buttons are generally preferred. @hideblock is an alright but much more limited alternative.

If Menus themselves had the ability to contain functions and modifiers, that would've solved that, but I assume that would require you guys to rewrite the Menu option in its entirety. If instead Menu Buttons would have the ability to make the image act like the arrow (like it already does in Customize), possibly but not necessarily with the option to hide the arrow, that would automatically make all that and more possible.

Hope it can be considered.