Menu w/items from recent places.lnk | windows recent | mrus

Hi, I would like to create a 'Go FOLDERCONTENTS' menu in dopus that has the items from 'recent' menu of the start menu (ie. shortcuts to recent files only)

and also a seperate menu, that has shortcuts to recent FOLDERS only from [C:\Users\admin\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Recent Items]

Is there any way to seperate the two, since the above location has a mixture of both?

On a related note, regarding folder shortcuts that appear in 'go foldercontents' menus, is it possible to have them also cascade into their subfolders etc., as if they were actual folders?

Unfortunately it's not really a mixture because all of them are *.lnk-files. The only difference between Links to files and Links to folders may be the name containing the original extensions only for files. (e.g. "notepad.exe.lnk" vs "Program Files.lnk"). The only way to separate them I can think of is using wildcards in the filefilter option of the FOLDERCONTENT command. The problem with this is that you can't separate files without an extension from folders or folders containing a dot like "My Files.bak" from files. Here are some examples of what you can do:

Links to Files (shows only files with 3-character-extension. You could also make it work with 2 and 4-character-extensions):

Go "C:\Users\admin\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Recent" FOLDERCONTENT=nodirs,"filefilter=*.([a-z]|[0-9])([a-z]|[0-9])([a-z]|[0-9]).(lnk)"[/code]A better way would be to provide a list of extensions you want to see:[code]Go "C:\Users\admin\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Recent" FOLDERCONTENT=nodirs,"filefilter=*.(doc|pdf|txt|htm).(lnk)"

Links to Folders (shows folders and files without extension with letters, digits, spaces and/or a few more characters in their names):

Go "C:\Users\Admin\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Recent" FOLDERCONTENT=nodirs,"filefilter=#([a-z]|[0-9]| |-|_|;).(lnk)"

Possibly someone could create better widcards. I'm not an expert in this.

[quote]On a related note, regarding folder shortcuts that appear in 'go foldercontents' menus, is it possible to have them also cascade into their subfolders etc., as if they were actual folders?[/quote]No way I'd say.

Yes I completely forgot auto-generated shortcuts have the file extensions. And since I hardly name folders with dots, your codes suit me very nicely.
Thanks for the clever workarounds!

wait, there's a problem! I've just tested your examples

Firstly, I have set my global (windows) folder options to 'hide extensions for known filetypes-OFF'
File extensions of the files the shortcuts POINT to (eg. filename.doc) are visible inside the windows recent folder, using explorer.

But it seems that dopus cannot 'see' this extension, which is visible in explorer?

since the following command does not show anything:
Go "C:\Users\admin\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Recent" FOLDERCONTENT=nodirs,"filefilter=*.doc.lnk)"

Also, viewing the recent folder in dopus does not show extensions, neither that of the file nor .lnk (despite setting show extension for the folder format)

Your first command:
Go "C:\Users\admin\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Recent" FOLDERCONTENT=nodirs,"filefilter=*.([a-z]|[0-9])([a-z]|[0-9])([a-z]|[0-9]).(lnk)"

shows ALL file and folder shortcuts, REGARDLESS of target filetype etc. I don't think its related to regexp. But dopus unable to distinguish target filetype. The extensions shown in windows explorer are 'virtual'? :cry:

[quote]since the following command does not show anything:Go "C:\Users\admin\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Recent" FOLDERCONTENT=nodirs,"filefilter=.doc.lnk)"[/quote]This command can't show anything because you destroyed the Code. You deleted the wildcards before typing in [b].doc.lnk[/b] but you forgot to delete the last ")". Delete it and your code should correctly show all links to DOC-Files.

[quote]Also, viewing the recent folder in dopus does not show extensions, neither that of the file nor .lnk[/quote]It's not necessary to show extensions of links to make the command work. FWIW you'll find an option to show extension 'lnk' for Links in Preferences=>Folder=>Folder Display.

My first command shows links to files regardless their target extension; the second one shows only links to files with target extensions specified in a list in filefilter argument and the third command shows only links to folders.
They all work like intended for me.
You should read about Pattern Matching Syntax in the manual to understand the wildcards (they're not Regexp). It's not too hard to understand.

Reading in the manual again I found a much shorter and better expression for the third (Folder-Links) Command:

Go "C:\Users\Admin\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Recent" FOLDERCONTENT=nodirs,"filefilter=#[~.].(lnk)"As I said: I'm not an expert in this and still learning.

I think I've found the problem!..
Clarification, and for any others wishing to use this command...

You must set the global (windows) folder options to 'hide extensions for known filetypes-OFF'

Otherwise the auto-generated shortcuts in the windows/recent folder will NOT have target filetype 'extensions' as part of their name, meaning the filtering based on this cannot apply (except for folder/file NAMES eg. folder.bak).

For me initially (with 'hide extensions for known filetypes-ON'), the command
Go "C:\Users\Admin\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Recent" FOLDERCONTENT=nodirs,"filefilter=#([a-z]|[0-9]| |-|_|;).(lnk)"

displayed a menu with BOTH folders/files.
Likewise no file shortcut appeared with the other two examples.

After purging the recent folder of old shortcuts and changing the setting in folder options, new (file) shortcuts started having extensions (which also show up in the dopus file display and menus), everything is now working as described.

Thanks again Kundal for your detailed responses. I think i will read up on some pattern matching.

This stupid Windows Standard Setting always has been the very first thing I changed on a fresh Windows Install. So I didn't know that this also effects the names of Links. Be glad you got rid of this. :smiley:

Just a suggestion: ability to add files in mru lists from registry...

eg.