Menus are not rendering with Plays.tv

Suddenly main and context menus are not rendering correctly. I get only an outline. Here I have the Settings menu open

Once the menu is "open", if I hover over the other menus eventually they will all start drawing.
The same thing happens with context menus anywhere in the lister as well as on the system tray icon.

I just uninstalled and installed fresh with no theming and still have the same results.

A gif to better show it

Make sure your graphics drivers are installed and up to date, and try rebooting.

They are, and uninstalling / reinstalling involved multiple reboots in addition to the first I tried.

DO is the only app this is happening with. Perhaps it is worth noting that the root level drive context menus appear every time along with Desktop, Network, Recycle Bin, This PC, and Quick Access. OneDrive, Favorites, File Collections and Libraries show the ghosted outline.

Is anything installed that changes Windows look & feel, multi-monitor tools, window placement, or "on-topness", or similar?

No but I have found the cause after shutting down everything installed over the last few days on this new PC.. It is Plays.tv. I used both DO and Plays regularly on my previous PC with no issues. I know Plays recently had an update but I don't see why this would affect only DO. But I can fix and reproduce it on command now.

Strange. Maybe it causes a conflict with layered windows? Might be worth reporting to them.

Wow, Finally I found the cause. I'm having the same problem. context menu and main menu does not appear. I haven't been able to use the dopus in a while. I thought it was because of the HDPI problem. It solved when I turned off plays.tv.

plays.tv has screen recording (direct X) and overlay feature. (

In 12.14.1 we'll add a workaround that detects Plays.TV on the machine and avoids the thing that it has problems with.

If you want to report the bug back to them, since it will probably affect other software, it seems that they are doing something wrong if AnimateWindow is called on certain window types (ones with drop-shadows, by the look of things, but there may be more to it than that).

I did report this to Plays.tv, though I have yet to receive any response or even acknowledgement. So yes the more the merrier!

Avoiding the thing it has problems with.. What if any side effects would we see from that?

1 Like