Meta data to file attributes

Hello, I'm hoping this is a function I haven't found in the docs or forum. I'm familiar with renaming based on metadata, but I'm hoping to change the Date Created attribute with the {releasedate} metadata info. Is there simple method for doing this over directories of files?

Thanks!

The Properties > Attributes command can copy some metadata timestamps to the main Created and Modified filesystem timestamps:

2022-04-08 21-25-00 Clipboard Image

But it's limited to the ones shown here, at least currently:

If we're talking about music files, {releasedate} is often only a year (sometimes a month and day as well, but rarely a time). To copy that over the created timestamp, you'd need to use a script (and have it choose arbitrary dates and times for any missing detail).

Thanks, Leo. I read the documentation and tried what you showed below. I'm talking about video files that all have the filled-in "Release date and time. Unfortunately, none of the options match the metadata field I want to pull from.

I can't believe someone hasn't created a tool that can do this, so I'll look around for a bit before I start trying to expand my scripting chops. lol Thanks!

FYI, exiftool to the rescue.

exiftool '-FileModifyDate<CreateDate' '-FileCreateDate<CreateDate' /path/to/files/

The Release date is not always the same as the File Created Date.
You were probably only able to use that command because they happened to be the same.

I am trying to copy the release date to the File Created Date, and I have not succeeded using an ExifTool command. I can't get "releasedate" to work.
I use a lot of other ExifTool commands to copy dates between fields, so I think it's just the "releasedate" part that is wrong.

Does anyone know where the error might be?

I think I have never heard of a tag group "system" nor of a tag "releasedate".

Try "File:..." and check with PrintMeta if the tag exists.

I use 'system' often. It's for what are called 'Standard Properties' in DOpus. and is what I use in ExifToolGUI. The 'sytem' part is definitely not the problem as I have several working commands that include it.
Releasedate is used here:

I use that for renaming and it works--but only if the filename is exactly that length/has that many digits and I haven't figured out how to modify that.

For MP4 files, Release date is displayed in the Movies section of the metadata pane.