Missing file, folder icons in some cases

Okay, will follow these suggestions. Thank you!

If I don't get back here in a reasonable period of time, please come looking for me.

You probably should bring the dogs and start looking for me at the bottom of the rubble pile.

:frowning:

= Ron

Well, son of a gun!

Ran ClearIconCache_1002; no change.
Grabbed ShellExView and started looking at shell icon extension handlers.

Then ka-boom; I saw the problem. Working in the fog which surrounds me, through a crack in the clouds, I saw a bunch of DropBox entries and remembered that several years ago I had the same problem. I posted a message here and someone told me the DropBox handlers were probably the problem. I disabled them and viola! the problem was fixed. At that time I switched to Google Drive but for lack of use, deleted it. Recently I had to get some files to an associate in a hurry and grabbed DropBox. Incidentally, the old, previously disabled entries were still there. If only I had remembered all of this a few weeks ago.

Thanks for the help everyone! Really, thank you very much!!

One more thing: Note the faint "X" overlaid on the icons in the image below. That comes up when a object is:
[ul]created on the desktop and then moved to a folder on drive C, or;
created anywhere, moved to the desktop and then moved to a folder on drive C, but;
the object looses the faint "X" if it's moved off of C, and;
it stays lost until it gets back to the desktop.
[/ul]This is only a nit... but, if anyone knows the cause, I'd appreciate your sharing your knowledge with me. Thank you!

= Ron

I'm experiencing the same or similar issue. However, mine is more specific to my OneDrive and SharePoint folders. The screenshots provided above are very much the same.

Almost forgot, I'm currently running Windows 10 Pro x64.

Were I you I would apply the same approach as recommended to me above.

Alternatively, wait for somebody to come along here who knows more than I do!

I wish I had more to offer...

I will have a look around and attempt the "fix". However, I have a clean install and no other cloud based program other than Adobe and Microsoft. I would much rather wait on the developers responses before doing the bandaid since the issue is not persistent on Explorer only Dopus.

Sorry, what issue are you talking about? I thought this was traced to the Dropbox shell extension?

Jon, please see my exchange with HPDelaney, above. He has a very similar to my DropBox problem--which is solved--but does not have DropBox installed. = Ron

Jon, please see my exchange with HPDelaney, above. He has a very similar problem to my DropBox problem--which is solved--but does not have DropBox installed. = Ron

The same advice applies - use ShellExView to disable shell extension handlers until the faulty component is located.

Okay. I've attempted using ShellExView and there are way too many components and I'm not really sure what I'm looking for. With that said, my attempt was to focus at the Type: Icon Overlay Handler. Disabling them one at a time and then all at once yield no effect in Windows Explorer, but varied within Dopus. Unless someone on your end can recommend something that is less time consuming, I'm not doing anything further and we can wait when others will start to report on the same issue.

The best approach is to disable all the Icon Overlay Handlers, reboot and then see if the issue is fixed in Opus. If not then obviously it's not the cause and we can investigate other ideas. If disabling them all does fix the issue then you need to progressively re-enable them to work out which one is causing it. You can take a binary approach to this - re-enable half, if that doesn't fix it re-enable half again and so on. Unfortunately there's not really any other way of finding out where the problem lies.

My apologies for my recent post. It was extremely late here and I was extremely tired. Looking for a needle in a haystack was not something I should have tackled at that late hour.

In any case, I think I have a possible explanation as to why the folder icons for OneDrive (personal – not business) in Dopus looked the way they did (i.e., the folder icons with the “X”s on them). My guess/thought is that the “X”s may imply the lack of availability of the appropriate icon. This was evident when I found the following “solution” article that I used in conjunction with ShellExView.

support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3079213

Bottom line: Many software companies, especially cloud based ones, are using icon overlays to determine the “status” of their clients synced folders and everyone is trying to position themselves to the top by incorporating their “overlays” ahead of the alphabetical pecking order since:

"Windows supports a finite number of icon overlays. If you have other applications installed that heavily use icon overlays on files and folders, such as Dropbox and Box, those applications take priority in displaying their icon overlays and suppress the icon overlays for OneDrive…"

BTW: I think the initial approach in this thread was rather heavy and more guidance could have been given. I’m sure most of the people that are using Dopus consider themselves quite “techie”, but diving into using a “tool” without a clue with what to really look for…

Thanks and I'm off for my morning's first cup of coffee!

This is a good example of why we ask people to stick to one issue per thread. "I'm experiencing the same or similar issue." when two completely different issues ("missing icons", and "mysterious X's") have been raised is not exactly self-explanatory.

Glad you have it sorted now anyway, and enjoy that coffee!

I've been experiencing missing icons for about a week now with Windows 10 pro 64 and DO 1.15. This makes life a lot harder in using DO efficiently. No problem with icons in File Explorer.

I'm wondering if it had anything to do with Windows 10 updates? Looking through this thread, I can't see any definitive answer hence the post. I am not experiencing any "X"s, just blank folder and file icons.

Advice greatly appreciated.

Same advice as earlier in the thread:

First try Clear Icon Cache, since it's quick to try it and can't hurt.

If that doesn't help, use ShellExView to see which icon-related shell extensions are installed, disable them, reboot and see if things work again. If they do, re-enable a few at a time until the problem comes back. Try anything related to DropBox or cloud storage first, as those are usually the extensions which break icons.

OK, first up, "Clear icon cache" didn't work.

I then ran ShellExView and thought "hell - so many icon handlers and icon overlay handlers!" where do I start. I did as you said and first disabled the 4 Dropbox ones (Overlay icon handlers)

"DropboxEx1 Class"
"DropboxEx2 Class"
"DropboxEx3 Class"
"DropboxEx4 Class"

...rebooted, and it works! Icons are now back in DO. So, one has to ask, what does one lose by this disable?

Tasilee, you might look here: dropbox.com/help/7670

Tasilee and Leo
I used ShellExView and disabled Icon Handler for DOpus and Icon Overlay Handlers for OneDrive Shell Extensions. This fixed it. I now have icons for OneDrive folders.
Is that the end of it? Should I now re-enable them?

11.18 will have a workaround for OneDrive's icon bug, which will mean you can enable those extensions again and should no longer see blank icons from them.

The fix is in the current 11.17.4 beta (link in my signature) if you'd like to try it sooner.

Update: 11.18 is now available