MKV - Dimensions column

I have windows 10. The Dimensions column doesn't show the dimensions for all MKV files. It doesn't show it for H265 files. I have installed the free version of HEVC support in Windows 10 store and Windows can read them.

It also doesn't show the dimensions for some H264 files. Very strange.

Duration it shows for all files.

This for example doesn't show the Dimensions
General
Format : Matroska
Format version : Version 4
File size : 1.05 GiB
Duration : 48 min 0 s
Overall bit rate : 3 144 kb/s
Encoded date : UTC 2015-10-14 22:50:18
Writing application : mkvmerge v8.3.0 ('Over the Horizon') 32bit
Writing library : libebml v1.3.1 + libmatroska v1.4.2

Video
ID : 1
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : High@L4.1
Format settings : CABAC / 6 Ref Frames
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, Reference frames : 6 frames
Codec ID : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
Bit rate : 3 015 kb/s
Width : 1 280 pixels
Height : 720 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 25.000 FPS
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.131
Stream size : 1.01 GiB (96%)
Writing library : x264 core 148 r2579 73ae2d1
Encoding settings : cabac=1 / ref=6 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x3:0x113 / me=umh / subme=9 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.00:0.00 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=24 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=1 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=0 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=3 / lookahead_threads=1 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / bluray_compat=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=5 / b_pyramid=2 / b_adapt=2 / b_bias=0 / direct=1 / weightb=1 / open_gop=0 / weightp=2 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=25 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=40 / rc=crf / mbtree=1 / crf=18.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=0 / qpmax=69 / qpstep=4 / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:1.00
Language : English
Default : Yes
Forced : No

Audio
ID : 2
Format : AAC LC
Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec Low Complexity
Codec ID : A_AAC-2
Bit rate : 127 kb/s
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Channel layout : L R
Sampling rate : 48.0 kHz
Frame rate : 46.875 FPS (1024 SPF)
Compression mode : Lossy
Delay relative to video : 9 ms
Stream size : 43.5 MiB (4%)
Default : Yes

Text
ID : 3
Format : UTF-8
Codec ID : S_TEXT/UTF8
Codec ID/Info : UTF-8 Plain Text
Duration : 47 min 30 s
Bit rate : 85 b/s
Count of elements : 672
Stream size : 29.7 KiB (0%)
Default : No

It seems to be a Windows 10 issue as the same is true in File Explorer.

Getting this info independently is on our list.

You may be able to get it to work in Opus and Explorer via 3rd party components, but I'm unsure. I've read mixed information on that.

It's strange that it can read the Duration fine for all files.

Indeed.

1 Like

That isn't true. I have plenty of MKV files and Directory Opus shows a lot of informations:

The metadata of the MKV files have to be deleted. I found one program which can do it:

https://www.3delite.hu/Object%20Pascal%20Developer%20Resources/MKVTagEditor.html

You still have files in that picture that don't show the Dimensions.

That's the other strange thing. Current versions of Windows 10 can get dimensions for some mkv files but not others.

Not much we can do about it other than replace the query into Windows with something else. Although installing alternative mkv components may help (unverified, but some say it does with Explorer).

Why don't make it that opus read the mkv files directly? You already read jpg files and other stuff. (I don't know if you read jpg directly or use windows).

That is our plan, since we can't rely on Windows to work properly for MKV anymore.

Following @DOped_User's post, I've installed a fresh new VM using a Win10 v1909 x64 Pro ISO I downloaded from Microsoft (same ISO as on my own machines), installed DOpus v12.23, made a clean snapshot so I can go back to it. I've experimented with everything: Icaros, K-Lite Codec Pack, Icaros dev's own Shark007 Advanced codec pack, disabling/enabling codecs, updating to latest Win10 2020H2, installing latest codecs from Microsoft...

No Matroska information neither in Explorer nor DOpus. I can play them without problems via Windows but at best only video length or a random bitrate is shown, nothing else. So from my tests I cannot confirm the claim that vanilla Windows/DOpus can show Matroska or even half of MP4 info.

@Leo
Regarding

Windows 10 can get dimensions for some mkv files but not others

This might be irrelevant but still helpful.
I've been experimenting with MediaInfo (I find it easier to use than ffprobe) over holidays and double-checking with AviDemux, MKVToolNix, Foobar2000, MP3Tag, etc. whenever a field I know to be true is not shown or shown incorrectly in DOpus. I found out if an info is missing sometimes it's due to older muxers. Resaving the file - only tested with .mp4 & .mkv - with a newer muxer and without recompressing it fixes some parsing problems for both MediaInfo and even DOpus sometimes, e.g. channel count or bitrate. For .m4a, .mka doing an "Optimize File Layout" or for .mp3 "Rebuild MP3 Stream" with Foobar also fixes some errors when DOpus shows a weird bitrate or similar. This does not fix the above problem with Windows/DOpus but fixes occasional problems with few formats if all other files of the same format are otherwise shown correctly.

So what I'm saying is, I'm not expecting everybody to fix their files but even if you DOpus devs implement a builtin solution with Mediainfo and whatnot, some users might still have problems with some of their files.

2 Likes

I just came here looking for a solution to the blank MKV Dimensions column.
I'm using Windows 11 on this computer.

After a quick browse through the comments, there doesn't appear to be a solution yet.

There are some script-columns in the Buttons & Scripts area which may do what you need, until internal MKV metadata support is better (which is actually finished, but movie playback doesn't currently work in the new code and is being re-written, so we can't release it in that state yet).

1 Like

Any update?

(I just logged in after 7 years to say this ;))

Not ready yet, but fairly soon now.

Thanks for the prompt reply, looking forward to it :money_with_wings: :slightly_smiling_face:

FTR, i am on Windows 11 nowadyas, and expecting to see all possible MKV details on info's tooltips, if there were a way to inject data there from ffprobe/mediainfo by using an script or whatever other approach that would be awesome, but a native way made by dopus itself will be preferred.

I'm on Windows 11 with this issue. Any updates?

1 Like

Here's how I solved this problem:
Use a free application called MKV Tag Editor as recommend by @DOped_User: https://www.3delite.hu/Object%20Pascal%20Developer%20Resources/MKVTagEditor.html

After installing the application, right-click and Edit MKV Tags Tree:

Select the first 'Root tag', and click 'Delete selected node' (it will automatically select the next root tag.. just keep clicking Delete selected node until all tags are deleted). Then click Save:

You'll be able to see the dimensions, including fully populated tooltip:

I have not encountered any MKV whose metadata cannot be fixed using this.

You shouldn’t need to do any of that to show MKV dimensions. Just install the Opus 13 public beta and they should work out of the box.