Mounting TrueCrypt containers by button or user command

This is an example, how to use buttons (or user commands) to launch certain TrueCrypt containers directly. TrueCrypt, in this example, is installed on C:\programs\truecrypt, the container is on
d:\containers called container1 (or whatever the name is), it will be mounted on X:.
The parameters /q & /v mean to mount some volume quietly (no main TrueCrypt interface coming up), /lx meaning (drive) letter x (/ly would be drive y etc.), /m rm is the parameter to make it a removable drive.

"C:\programs\TrueCrypt\TrueCrypt.exe" /q /v /lx /m rm d:\containers\container1

will launch the container as a removable drive after the password is typed.

"C:\programs\TrueCrypt\TrueCrypt.exe" /d /q

will unmount all TrueCrypt containers.

More about the commands here:
http://www.truecrypt.org/docs/?s=command-line-usage

what's the advantage of mounting it as a removable drive?

i made a similar button a few months ago, but i made it so it only runs if i hold CTRL while clicking it. otherwise it just opens something innocuous. it keeps prying eyes just a little further away :slight_smile:

It´s no important reason, but i like to have those drives separately, for just optical reason (looks better). For the containers i use another nice Opus feature, hiding them from the lister, since i never directly access those files. That way i couldn´t even accidently delete them.

i got it. i never thought about drive sorting. i think i'll add that flag to my button. thanks!

The advantage of mounting as removable drives is also, that the files residing inside the container or the container itself will not be corrupt even is the PC chrashes, or the USB-stick on which it resides is unplugged "forcefully".