Moving dopus to another boot partition?

Hi,

I have properly configured DO on my XP partition, and I would like the same configured DO on my Vista Home partition, but I'm really puzzled with all the different storages where specific DO components are located.

I understand a simple Backup & Restore is not enough for that.

Therefor, Is there some FAQ avaliable that can shed some light on where dopus stores all the different things like :

• Custom Toolbars
  • Custom Context Menu configs
  • Custom Images (as found in Preferences/display/Images)
  • Custom StatusBar code
  • Toolbar Icons.
  • Custom Folder Format settings.
  • Custom Layouts.

I especially have a hard time finding where exaclty the custom toolbars and custom images are located (since there's no way in the preferences windows to actually know where they're stored.

So I would like to store all these things on a different partition that can be shared between the 2 OS's on both boot partitions.

Can anyone give me a hint please ?

What makes you say the Backup & Restore feature won't handle that?

Layouts or user-made buttons with hardcoded paths might need updating, I guess. The FAQ on locating & backing up config files explains where Opus stores everything. Toolbars are in /dopusdata/Buttons.

I'm not sure that will be a good idea as there will probably be some changes between the two OS but it might work if you're careful to only refer to programs etc. on shared partitions & drive letters.

The configuration is always stored in the user profile (private config mode) or application data (shared config mode) directories, which you wouldn't want to share entirely between two OS versions. You could create an NTFS junction from one Opus config folder to the other, though. (Just be careful, especially in XP where deleting a junction is more likely to delete the shared contents of it and not just remove the junction itself.)

You can find out exactly where in the user profile/appdata folders by following the FAQ on config backups.

Thanks a lot Leo, I know exactly what I want.
I won't blindly share the configs, I described wrongly what I wanted to do.
I only wanted to archive all the stuff from the /dopusdata folder, and extract it to the proper location on my other system.

Now, thanks to the FAQ, I know which files to .RAR, and I'll put them on my other C:\ drive in the proper location, and check each file using notepad to be sure nothing goes wrong, and make corrections where needed.

Thanks again ! :astonished:

Why do you need to create a Rar for your Opus config? What are you accomplishing that the Opus Backup and Restore Function does not already accomplish for you?

Hi kenalcock,

I do make backups the usual way, but I'm sceptic to do a blind fully restore onto another boot partition, I'd rather copy/paste seperate items and edit them, since the restore window doesn't give me very specific info.

• Restore Images
  • Restore Sounds
  • Restore miscellaneous data
  • Restore local state data

.... doesn't tell me much of which one does what ?
Which one is responsible for the custom toolbars ?
Which one is responsible for the custom context menus ?
What exactly is meant with "Restore Sounds" ????

... Therefor, It is better to just copy/paste them into the proper /dopusdata folder manually and change/edit manually to take out program shortcuts and other stuff that ain't on this particular C:\ drive (OS). :wink:

As the manual states :

"By default all your Preferences settings, Toolbars, Hotkeys, File Types and other important settings are included, and these can not be disabled."

Restore Images, Sounds are self explanatory.

Local state data is things like the preferences window location, customize window location etc.

Misc Data includes everything not already included. :slight_smile:

Besides, it's not exactly doing anything destructive, just export the lot and re-import it. Job done, no need to sod about with the individual xml files.

Thanks for the help steve,

I did as you said, worked marvelous on my Vista OS, but it completely screwed my Windows 7 OS, nothing in the control panel works, DO is stalling completely, have to reinstall....

BTW, I didn't even find anything searching for "explorer" or "replace" in the Preferences on the W7 partition. :frowning:

Opus does not support Windows 7 yet - Explorer Replacement creates issues that break the control panel for example (I think that function is actually disabled in the latest build (if run on Win7).

You will need to disable explorer replacement in your Vista install before exporting.

Are you using the latest version of Opus? I think it disables Explorer Replacement on Win7 to avoid causing the problem for now, until a compatible mechanism is in place. Might be wrong, though.

Yes, I'm using 9.1.3.0, but it broke almost every configuration option for W7.

It may be because I restored a config from XP where explorer replacement was enabled, and thus DO did make some (un)vital changes anyway.

@Devilder
Okay, have a read through this new FAQ:

HOW TO: Back-up or locate your Opus configuration (Advanced)

Thanks kenalcock, fantastic info ! :slight_smile: