MP3 and WMV files do not play on double-click

Greetings,

I am running Windows 7 Pro, SP1, Opus 10.0.0.0.4137 x86, having just recently upgraded from Version 9. Very happy with it so far, but I do have an issue.

When I left double-click on an .mp3 file, or a .wmv file from within Opus, nothing happens. What used to happen is these files would play in Windows Media Player. Clicking on the “Play” option after a right click also has no results. If I try these actions in Windows Explorer, the files play as expected in Windows Media Player.

I can’t find a solution, and don’t remember deliberately changing any defaults to these file types. At the same time I free admit that I have been experimenting with Opus and for the most part may not know what I’m doing. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards, DaveR

See if you've overridden any double-click events or Open actions within Settings -> File Types, checking the mp3 and wmv types, the music and movies groups, and the generic All Files and All Files & Folders types at the top.

If you haven't changed anything in there, try right-clicking an mp3 and using the Open With menu to set Windows Media Player as the default application.

Thank you for your reply, Leo

I'll stick with the mp3 files for testing, as most likely the solution for those will tell me what to do on the other. I haven't overwritten any of the File Type settings, except for changing the icon, and that was some time ago. These are what the settings show:

The generic type and the groups show no changes. The Open With default program shows correctly as Windows Media Player, selecting that will play the file.

Regards, Dave

Try using Open With -> Choose Default Program and a different program, then do the same to set it back to WMP.

If it's still not working, run my FileTypeDiag on .mp3 and send me the text file it produces. I'll see if I can work out what's different to my system (where it seems to work fine with WMP).

I changed the default to iTunes, double-clicked then worked to open iTunes and play. I switched the default back to WMPlayer, double-click does not do anything.

I did some further testing; I uninstalled Version 10 and reinstalled the V10 default configuration, problem still exists. I then uninstalled V10 and reinstalled the default Version 9, in which the problem was solved. I then restored my most recent backup of V9 to the installed V9, problem was solved. I then restored my most recent backup of V10 to the installed V9, problem was solved. I am now back on V10.

I've attached (I think) the results of your FileTypeDiag. Thanks, Leo.
Regards, Dave
mp3.txt (102 KB)

So then it would "seem" to me to be an Opus issue and not something in Windows FileTypes... at least based on your observations about rolling back to v9, etc.

If so, then it's something that would surely need to be worked out - but in the meantime you might be able to work around it in v10 by just adding something like this to the Left double-click event for the filetypes you have the issue with - or maybe easier, to the Music and/or Movies File Type Groups for those files (normally, filetype specific settings would take precedence - but they're not doing anything for you so...):

ContextMenu VERB play

@Jon/Leo: could this be some kind of thing related to when Opus used to always want an undefined double-click event to run the 'open' shell verb instead of whatever the 'default' verb is set to (I guess in this case 'play')...? Funny thing is... his 'open' action shown in the filetype edit dialog ~exists, so with the way it ~used to work, I thought Opus would run it even if it's not set to the default verb. Weird that it doesn't seem to be running 'anything'...

steje,
If the following is what you had in mind, that also does not solve the issue. Added to the mp3 file parameters. Thanks for the input.

I should add that it took me at least a week to notice this issue, so that although I would like it to work, it is not an every day problem. I'll also add that I am comfortable trying any solution, as I do have an imaging program and am familiar with backing up and restoring after testing stuff, which is what I did when testing Version 9 for the issue. Regards, Dave

[quote="DaveR"]Thank you for your reply, Leo

I'll stick with the mp3 files for testing, as most likely the solution for those will tell me what to do on the other. I haven't overwritten any of the File Type settings, except for changing the icon, and that was some time ago. These are what the settings show:

The generic type and the groups show no changes. The Open With default program shows correctly as Windows Media Player, selecting that will play the file.

Regards, Dave[/quote]
Why does DaveR's Screenshots above show .mp2 for an extension when he's trying to work with .mp3? The title says MP3 but the actual extension is .mp2. Just want to make sure no one is over looking that.

@ktbcrash: probably because his mp3 filetype has multiple extensions... and mp2 is just the first in the list?

DaveR - can you confirm that?

Not sure why that other "Add to Windows Media Player list" item is though... maybe that's normal.

@DaveR: hmmm... can you try ContextMenu VERB open and FileType ACTION=open... can you also try those against the Music File Type Group instead of the specific mp3 filetype?

I'll have a look at the diag log you sent from Leo's tool a little later...

That's normal; I see the same thing here.

steje/leo,

Regarding double-click on the files: FileType ACTION=open did the trick, in both mp3 and wmv files, in both the individual file types and the generic groups. ContextMenu VERB open had no effect. Right-clicking and the selecting Play still has no results.

steje, thank you very much for your help on this. This forum and others are a wonderful source of help and information; maybe sometime I'll be able to return the favor to someone.

leo, If there is anything further on this issue you would like me to look at or try, if you think this might be an Opus problem and not some freakish behavior on my system alone, please feel free to let me know what to try. This solution works for me.

Thanks again,
Regards, Dave