Multi-line file display toolbar with address on a dedicated line

I use quite a number of buttons on a file display toolbar. It is very convenient to have some buttons separated and dedicated to both individual file displays.

The problem with this approach is, that the address bar then becomes so short, that it's pretty much useless most of the time, especially when not using DOpus in fullscreen, as I never do.

I usually have DOpus docked to the left or right, or even smaller than half the screen size. And even though my main monitor is ultra-wide - the address bar is useless most of the time. Which is a shame.

Example of a useless address bar, as it is now:

This is a quick mockup of a multi-line file display toolbar, where the address bar has a dedicated line at a top. It takes up the whole width of the file display and would be usefull most of the time:

Additionally, having a multi-line toolbar for file displays, would enable adding even more dedicated buttons onto them. Which would be awesome.

I tried using DOpus in Dual Horizontal view, which helps a little bit, but is so much less intuitive, that I always had to switch back :slight_smile:

P.S. Thank You, guys, for switching to Discourse (I assume it's discourse). Love it. I can finally edit my posts :slight_smile:

I don't know if it helps, but you can have buttons that always affect one side or the other on normal toolbars as well, which may let you move some of those things out.

You can also do things like have buttons where left-click affects the left side and right-click affects the right side.

Both very good ideas, that you for the suggestions. I will try them both.

P.S. the speed of response here, especially from you @Leo never fails to amaze me. You're awesome :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@Leo I have tried your suggestion and it works, but not for everything...

I tried using OPENINLEFT and OPENINRIGHT modifiers on the buttons, to have them affect specific side. I assume you meant these, yes?

These buttons work perfectly:

• Go Up: Go up to %1
  • Favorite Locations: Favorites SHOWICONS USEQUALKEYS NOOPENINTABS NEWTAB OPENINRIGHT
  • This PC: Go /mycomputer NEWTAB OPENINRIGHT
  • Drives: Go DRIVEBUTTONS=fixed NEWTAB=findexisting OPENINRIGHT
  • collection: Go coll://_current NEWTAB=findexisting OPENINRIGHT

The awesome Command: Go-Relative (go to next/prev sibling folder) do not work in a regular toolbar at all:

• Previous Sibling: GoRelative SIBLING=prev WRAP SKIPHIDDEN OPENINRIGHT
  • Next Sibling: GoRelative SIBLING=next WRAP SKIPHIDDEN OPENINRIGHT

I have no idea how would I make Copy and Move buttons work on specific left->right and left<-right. I would love to have these with specific instructions. I have copied or moved files in a "reversed" direction too many times :slight_smile:

• Move: Copy MOVE QUEUE=Alpha,quiet

The other 2 navigation buttons ignore the OPENINRIGHT intruction, and always control the active side:

• Back: Go BACK USEQUALKEYS OPENINRIGHT
  • Forward: Go FORWARD USEQUALKEYS OPENINRIGHT

Also check this out - the Back button here does not activate (ie: you can go back) until the right side is activated:

The button to reopen a closed tab also ignores the OPENINRIGHT and acts on an active side:

• Reopen: Go TABUNDOCLOSE OPENINRIGHT

And a visual example :slight_smile:

Can all these be solved?

Anyway, having a multi-line file display toolbar would be awesome and easy... :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: