MultiView DLL could not be located

In my Plugin manager, the MultiView plugin claims the dll isn't found and the Display, Printer and Clipboard buttons are ghosted. Clicking on the Locate opens the "Browse for a folder" window but no matter what directory I select the OK button is ghosted (even when I select the directory where the dll is - in the Opus' own "Viewers" directory).

Doesn't sound like normal behaviour, should I move / copy the dll to some specific place?

Do you have Quivk View Plus installed?

See these two threads:

[MultiView / PD-QVP Viewer)
[resource.dopus.com/t/tip-free-viewer-plugins/267/1)

No, don't have QuickView and I'd rather not install some Yahoo stuff anyway if it can be avoided.

Nevermind, I'll skip this one - turned it off and everything's fine.

Thanks for the help!

Other software can install the same dlls on your computer. A bundle of software houses use the same libraries as QuickView.

The core of the Outside InViewer is now an Oracle thing.

For example, X1, the desktop search software, also uses these viewers.

I am currently trialing DOpus and am also having the problem of not being able to find a viewer directory for Multiview. I don't have MS Office other than an old version of Word (and doc files are thus currently viewable via the ActiveX+ viewer). I do have Powerdesk Pro installed (Ver 6.0.3.4) on my system, though, and I am able to view MS Office files within its viewer. However, I was not successful in getting the Multiviewer locate function to recognize the Powerdesk directory or any of its subdirectories as valid locations for its viewers.

I did come across a post on this forum recently where someone mentioned success using Powerdesk plugins, so I would appreciate help in this area (and avoid having to install another viewer). It would also be great if I can use the Powerdesk plugins as standalone (not requiring Powerdesk installation), because I plan on rebuilding my OS, and if DOpus works out for me, I'd rather not have to install another file manager, just copy the plugin files I have now and place them into the new build (I know this may be asking for too much).

I am currently using XP Pro, and my new build will remain XP Pro.

Thanks.

Doug

What do you use to edit Word documents? If you've got OpenOffice installed you can use that within Opus as well.

I'm not sure which versions of PowerDesk still came with the viewers. I think later versions switched to a different set of viewers. Not sure though.

The best way to get the DLLs seems to change over time as different products change their installers etc. I don't use the MultiView plugin myself so I've not kept track of where best to get the DLLs these days but hopefully someone who does use it can help out.

Thanks for the response. I do have OpenOffice installed and always save documents edited in it to MSOffice formats. As such, I rarely use the native OpenOffice file formats, though I finally did get the ActiveX viewer to work with the OpenOffice ActiveX control when I moved the OpenOffice file extensions from their installed location in the Generic ActiveX list to the Web Browser list. Why they were listed in the wrong place beats me.

However, I have not gotten the viewer with the OpenOffice database file to work, though, consistent with the fact that Internet Explorer (version 8, which I rarely use) will ask what to do with the file (Open or Save) instead of displaying in in the browser window using the OpenOffice ActiveX control Maybe it's not intended for the database, with its miriad different embedded file types. No biggie.

With respect to Powerdesk, I may end up submitting a trouble ticket if no one can answer here. The feature is touted on the DOpus site proper, no doubt directed at those like me to convert from Powerdesk.

As a last resort, I could try X1 per other posts here; I already downloaded that earlier version, just in case.

Thanks.

Doug

The defaults should work unless the plugin is picking the wrong ActiveX control up from the registry. (With the "Generic ActiveX" line the plugin decides which ActiveX control to use. With the "Internet Explorer" line the plugin tells IE to load the file and IE decides which ActiveX control to use.)

Adding it to the Generic ActiveX line is supposed to work with the OpenOffice ActiveX control but when it doesn't usually a pain work out why and what needs fixing.

(The fix is usually a registry entry, or re-registering a DLL, or telling a program to take over a filetype so that it re-writes the relevant registry data. It depends on what's broken, though.)

I can send you a debug version of the ActiveX plugin if you want to generate some log files but the registry settings are so painful to dig through that it may not be worth the effort if it's a file format you don't often view. Up to you.

BTW, the defaults for the MS Office formats are configured for MS Office. If you're using OpenOffice then you should* be able to add the MS Office file extensions to the same thing as the OpenOffice extensions to make OpenOffice display those files as well. (That'd usually be the Generic ActiveX line but if that isn't working try adding the MS Office extensions to the Internet Explorer line. I have a feeling IE will prompt you to save those files as well, though.)

(*Assuming the OpenOffice ActiveX control is associated with the MS Office formats. If something else has assigned itself to them in the registry then all bets are off.)

You can edit filetypes to tell IE not to prompt you when opening them. (Not sure of the details off the top of my head.) The prompt is a security measure but if you never use IE for browsing the web I guess there's no harm in turning it off.

At some point I'd like to spend some time making the ActiveX plugin work better with Open Office. e.g. I'd like to give it a specific Open Office line (like there is a specific Microsoft Office line) in the configuration window so that you can force certain extensions to open via Open Office. That way people shouldn't have to worry about the fragile registry settings.

That's right. If the extension is added to the Internet Explorer line then it'll be opened using IE, so if IE prompts for that type then Opus will too.

Where's that on the Opus site?

Definitely worth a shot. The X1 DLLs linked in that post worked for me when I tried them back when the post was new.

I think newer versions of the X1 installer may come with incompatible DLLs, but the versions that were linked in the post do work. (Not 100% sure about the newer ones not working as I haven't personally tried anything other than the version linked in the post.)

[quote="leo"]
The defaults should work unless the plugin is picking the wrong ActiveX control up from the registry. (With the "Generic ActiveX" line the plugin decides which ActiveX control to use. With the "Internet Explorer" line the plugin tells IE to load the file and IE decides which ActiveX control to use.)[/quote]
I originally tried the generic, where they were originally listed, and for two of the OpenOffice file types, the viewer showed a stationary/static view of a portion of each document. None of the ActiveX's embedded controls would respond, not even to a mouse button down event, including the scroll bars. I didn't think of changing it to the IE portion of the control until I noticed that's where you stated the OpenOffice extensions can be placed, in your original announcement of the plug-in.

I appreciate the offer, but that won't be necessary.

[quote="leo"]BTW, the defaults for the MS Office formats are configured for MS Office. If you're using OpenOffice then you should* be able to add the MS Office file extensions to the same thing as the OpenOffice extensions to make OpenOffice display those files as well. (That'd usually be the Generic ActiveX line but if that isn't working try adding the MS Office extensions to the Internet Explorer line. I have a feeling IE will prompt you to save those files as well, though.)

(*Assuming the OpenOffice ActiveX control is associated with the MS Office formats. If something else has assigned itself to them in the registry then all bets are off.)[/quote]

Yes, I am prompted to save or open the MSOffice files from IE when I try to open them from there, so I get the same behavior when I add the MSOffice extensions to the IE portion of the viewer control.

I tried looking for a place to do this within IE to no avail, and it doesn't help that IE 8 seems to crash a lot just from selecting certain menu items. I did a quick perusal of the registry, to no avail. I did try changing the xls extension subkeys in the registry to look exactly like the ods one, but that didn't help. I assume there's something else controlling IE behavior.

Where's that on the Opus site?[/quote]

It's the target of the link that's on the Configure dialog box for the multiview control: http://www.gpsoft.com.au/MultiView.html. This says to me it's a documented feature, albeit there may not be many, if any, other places that link to this page.

I found a later maintenance release of Powerdesk Pro 6, so I may install it. Possibly just the reinstall action may do something positive here. Otherwise, I think I'll do the X1 thing. The OpenOffice ActiveX control isn't very quick.

Thanks again.

Doug[/url]

You're not using the x64 version of Opus are you? If so, the Multiview plugin won't work unless you also have x64 versions of the viewers (and I don't know if such a thing even exists.)

No, I'm using the 32-bit version of DOpus on 32-bit XP Pro.

Doug

Powerdesk 6 update didn't work. No feedback on support request from GPSoft. However, I eventually tried X1 and the multiview plug-in does recognize and work with its filters.

Doug

Doug,

We have never received a support request from you on this issue.

Glad you have resolved the problem.