Navigating between meta panel and file display without using mouse?

How can i do it? Using the tab key only moves me through the meta pane. I want to work through a long list of files, editing fields, then move on to the next file in the file display, going back and forth. Is there any command to achieve this?

Create a Lister Hotkey which runs this and it will toggle focus between the file display and metadata panel:

@if:Set FOCUS=FileDisplay
Set FOCUS=MetaPane 
@if:else
Set FOCUS=FileDisplay 

Very helpful, thanks. I also like the fact, that the command remembers the last used field when switching back.

I was trying to improve this function, adding "select next", then repeating the whole sequence, like this

Set FOCUS=MetaPane
Set FOCUS=FileDisplay
select next
Set FOCUS=MetaPane
Set FOCUS=FileDisplay

But it doesn't work as expected. I guess, i would need to add some kind of delay inbetween. Ideally, i also would like to add two "Shift Tab" commands to get back to the upper of the two fields i am editing. But if the first part of this idea would be managable somehow, that would already be great.

If you just want to select the next file, without changing focus, then run select next on its own.

Well, then i might as well use the down arrow key. Isn't there a way to link those two commands? Anyway, the editing is much faster now. :beer:

What do you want to do exactly? Switch to the file display, select the next file, then switch back? Or without switching back?

I had my singles collection recorded quite a long time ago. Back then it was intended to be used inside some DOS program, where i had to limit the length of the names to eight characters. So what i am doing now is to use two columns to represent the title and the artists name, which i am editing in the metapane. So after i'm done with editing, i just want to select the next file in the list (in the file display), and go back into the metapane to edit the new music file. Basically i'd like to spare the "select next" keyboard action or down arrow, so that the command would virtually keep me in the metapane, enabling me to edit one file after the other.

So just bind a hotkey to select next. It should work from the meta pane without having to change focus to the file display at all.

1 Like

Ok, so that's what you meant. It works indeed. Sorry, i was assuming that in order to "select next" you have to be in a file display.

1 Like