Network path expanded in folder tree

Hi again! and hi @Leo

Just curious will the Grouping by server name or IP in "my computer" script treat the network drives as local drives?

As i have a problem (just updated to latest beta and got rid of the "jump to network thing") i have the following settings for the folder tree:

Options,
Automatically expand to current folder, Populate contents for local devices only.

and

Expand selected branch, only.

When browsing mapped network path with above settings the network path still gets populated.
If i disable " Expand selected branch " it will not populate the network paths.

This seems like a bug for me, that the Expand selected branch does not take in to account what the Automatically expand to current folder is set to.

Disabled the script, same problem.
also, Expanding branches when dragging over the tree w or w/o Sprind-loaded does not seem to work.

sry for the spam, also tried settings and all reset/to default, same behavior.

Do you still see the same thing if you go back to 12.21 instead of the beta?

Could you post a screenshot so we can see exactly what you mean?

I'll split things into a new thread, since it doesn't look like the script was involved.

Recorded two videos of it with the two versions, same problem.
And xbox game recorder does not record the settings windows i see now...
Either way, it shows what it is doing with the function off and later on.

Green is constant.
Yellow is the first change and turquoise is the second change in the settings.

Latest Beta:

Just if you missed my answer @Leo !

Not missed, just haven't had a chance to look properly yet today.

It's a bit hard to follow without the Preferences window being visible, but I'm assuming you change the "Expand Current Folder" setting part-way through both videos.

As far as I can tell, the behavior in both videos is the same? I'm probably missing something, and it's a little hard to tell what's going on with the Preferences dialog not visible and having to remember what happened in each video, but I played the first half of both side-by-side and the results look the same to me.

One thing that might cause confusion: The option to only partially populate the tree is only there to save time, not to reduce the amount of information in the tree. If the full folder listing has already been expanded in the tree, and then collapsed, then you won't get partial expansion for that branch, since the full listing is already cached. I don't know if that explains any of it, but I thought it worth mentioning.

You're assumptions is correct.
The video starts with the settings disabled.

I go through the tree with expected behaviour.

I enable the expand selected branch and redoe going through the tree, but as you know mentions that the tree gets cached I understand if I get a different behaviour, I do however assume that is only for the clearly visible expanded branches, or does it cache it in the background?

Last is setting is that expand selected branch gets disabled and expand branches when dragging over the tree with spring loaded enabled, here nothing happens, which is just something I noticed when playing around.

The last option does not to seem to work at all.

The behaviour is the same in both videos as you asked me to try the major/stable version as well.

Is caching per lister?
Could you disabled caching?
The first root of the mapped drive isn't the problem, it's the second folder "anläggningsregister" that contains at least 65k folders, when it is rendering that in the branch/treeview do gets slow when on vpn should be mentioned.

Will try the settings again based in your answer.

Either way, the last option with spring loaded enabled does not seem to work at all, try it your self.

So this isn't something that changed in 12.21.5? I assumed it was due to your mention of just updating to the beta in the original post:

I am still having trouble understanding the problem you've described. The videos haven't helped because they show lots of different things under different settings (that was can't see being changed).

A folder on a slow network drive with that number of items in it which (from the video) takes a long time to load may result in the auto-expansion being cancelled because it took too long. That may be all that's happening.

It works that way because it would be bad for you to change folders, then start doing something else, potentially working on the tree, and then a minute later a folder expands under your mouse pointer. If the auto-expansion can't happen in a reasonable time then it'll be cancelled.

No, as i said, same behaviour in both versions.

Ill do one more try in explaining, i dunno what to do if you cant follow this.

Have "Automatically expand folders to current folder" with "Populate contents for local devices only" enabled.

This works fine, all local folders get expanded when i browse them, regardless of lister or tree.

Browsing a network share with the lister will only expand/populate the folders i have browsed with the lister.
Using the tree it will always populate the whole sub-folder i navigate in to, as expected.

When enabling "Expand selected branch" the tree populates R:
When using the lister to browse R:\folder1
It will not populate the whole tree for folder1 until I browse a sub-folder in folder 1, this does not happen when not having "Expand selected branch" enabled, is this how it should work?

Shouldn't the above option also take in to account the first option not to populate when it is a network share?
If so, it does not work.
If not, i assume it works as its supposed to.

And on a side note, when trying stuff out, i found that the "Expand branches when dragging over the tree" does not work at all, regardless of the two first options mentioned above, have you tried that?

"Expand selected branch" causes the currently selected branch in the tree to be fully expanded automatically, so in this sense yes it's how it should work. It overrides the content population option to some extent.

1 Like

Could an option for this get in place?

That expand selected will populate as it does when using the tree, but when using the lister it will only populate the folders you visit, this would reduce loading time on slow/saturated networks as intended with the first option.

Did you try the last comment Jon? Autoexpand while hovering, not that I want to use it but it seems it doesn't work at all, nothing happens when hovering the tree.

br.

The auto-expand option seems to work ok here. Make sure you're hovering over a folder that actually can expand (e.g. the folders in Quick Access or Favorites can't).