New USB stick, options?

After reading the FAQ and searching the forums, I've decided this is a new question. If it isn't, please be gentle with a first time poster and direct me to the answer :slight_smile:

I'm considering Directory Opus but my main problem is the 'per machine' license instead of a 'per location' or 'per user' license. I use several PCs in my home office (depending on what you'd count about 5 machines), which is a bit much for just a file manager (would cost me a dear 240 AUD).

Therefore, I was looking into the USB license, since this would at least allow me to take it to work and use on the other machines if need be. But I have a single question about this: will the transfer to the USB stick be a one time only affair? That is, if the stick ever breaks/gets lost/wears out, will I have to purchase a new copy of Directory Opus? Or will there be some procedure to transfer the original install to a new USB stick? (obviously voiding the license on the first, if it would still work)

Thanks for taking the time to answer, greetings

DO USB licenses are not enforced. You can just install again on another stick after you lose/delete from one.

Unless you're actually in Australia, 240 AUD isn't that dear these days :slight_smile:

You forgot to mention that the UK is equally up the spout when it comes to exchange rates.

I mean, we can't even afford all that fine Aussie wine.

Stop complaining, it's cheaper there than it is in Australia :slight_smile:

@Jon

[quote]Stop complaining, it's cheaper there than it is in Australia [/quote]The economy is just Nuts here Jon.
So out of curiosity only, just what does a bottle of Penfold's St Henri 2000 cost there ?
Of course the answer is almost meaningless, I'm just curious.
I'm still with Yellowtail or perhaps Piper's Brook Riesling 2002 .

@Grismar and Jon
Quite honestly, I think a three machine licence is the correct answer here.
I've had a dual licence for years. and have only used the second licence recently.
I find a 5 machine licence too much to maintain as well.

About $80 AUD retail.

(this thread is getting a bit off-topic...)

Sine we are off-topic. If you can buy a bottle of St Henri 2000 then grab it with both hands!

Current release St Henri 2004 is available from Waitrose Direct for UKP23.75 or about A$51.00. Whereas in Australia it's A$80.00 at discounters.

Unbelievable value!

Now I have to admit that this is even better value than a five install licence for Opus! But the 5 install licence for Opus will definately last you longer!

Excellent. This does prompt the question: what's keeping me from installing it onto a bunch of 2 euro USB sticks and sticking the sticks into the systems that I might want to run DOpus on? Isn't this a bit of a silly way around the license? Not something I would want to try, but definitely a bit of a loophole for someone looking to spread their single license a bit thinner in a legal way...

Sounds like the single or double license + USB would be perfect for me then, installing DOpus on my main system and possibly secondary and having a copy on my stick on the go and for administrating the other PCs and servers around the house, with no headache about the stick going haywire or losing it.

Also, I'm in Euroland here, so you're right: the AUD has been more expensive in the past. But then you don't want to know what I have to pay in rent to be able to live over here, so I'd reconsider moving over here for the time being :wink:

Greetings.

Nothing except your conscience and the knowledge that a small, hardworking software company depends upon people like you for their very survival! :smiley:

1 Like

The fact that if it becomes prevalent, the DO will require some nice always-online DRM and you will be whining why it is so.

No worries, I'm a software engineer and more aware than the average user how much work and thought goes into a product like this. More than happy to pay for quality here. Maybe consider if the 'whining' was jumping the gun with an added dose of irony?

I was merely wondering what the mechanism was, so that I didn't end up in advertently breaking it, or (worse for me) running out of allowed installs for no good reason.

I love how on this forum people just pick up and continue conversations after 15 years like nothing ever happened :smiley:

1 Like

Directory Opus is such a quality product, I rarely find myself on the forums to ask questions or report issues :slight_smile: (and hopefully to my credit, I did check my old messages before writing a new one)

1 Like