"No reboot" installer feedback (12.12.1 beta)

Leo
Windows 10 1809
Did not get the release notes on installing 12.12b1
Checking Preferences / Miscellaneous / Advanced [Behavior]:
there is no display_release_history
There is a show_release_history which is set to True

Have added a button as suggested Help RELEASENOTES but on clicking only shows stable releases and not the latest Beta release notes

You must still be running 12.12. The setting was renamed in 12.12.1.

Thanks for quick reply
My mistake thought I had update
Now works

1 Like

The new "no reboot" option worked flawlessly. Much appreciated.

Allen

No reboot option worked great. Thank you.

Bob Gregory

This time, with 12.12.1, i have encountered a problem. The system pretty much froze, resp. got unresponsitive. I had to reboot. Were there any changes in the new installer?

Edit: i meant 12.12.2, sorry

12.12.1 to 12.12.2. worked without needing a reboot (Win 10 Pro 1809 x64).
Many thanks!

Like 12.1 12.2 installed fine without restart.

The installer still warns that the computer has to restart though.

Once again, the new installer worked just fine in Windows 10 Pro. However I did notice a curious thing, something that I don't think has happened before. I always put my versions of DO in my backup location, and then copy the installer to the desktop for actual install/upgrade. As I said, the actual upgrade process went very smooth.

When the process was finished, I tried to delete the install file from my desktop, and it said that it was locked, and could not be deleted at that time. Now, I realize that just doing a reboot would fix that, no problem, but it sort of defeats the new process, doesn't it??

InstallShield tends to keep running in the background for a while after the install appears to be finished. Not sure why, but you should be able to delete the file once it's finally exited.

1 Like

On Win7:
Installing 12.12.2 on top of 12.12.1 and on top of 12.12.2 required a reboot.

Can confirm the same on Win10 for the same situation.

Yes, most certainly another Windows quirk, to be sure...

upgrading from 12.12.1 to 12.12.2 on Windows 8.1 needed a reboot. (sorry)

Upgraded to 12.12.2 from 12.12.1 on Windows 7 and 10, no reboot required. Works perfectly.

On Win7:
Installing 12.12.3 on top of 12.12.2: no reboot required :+1:

Worked for me too! o) A really nice change, thank you!
Updated a "some months old" version to latest beta. No reboot required, just DO restart (win7 x64).

You always said it's impossible to update without rebooting.
What on earth was invented recently, which renders the reboot unnecessary from now on? o)

It's impossible to replace some of the DLLs without a reboot, but we can move them out of the way and (aim to) make it so things with old DLLs loaded won't crash themselves or Opus if they send messages to new DLLs.

There will still be cases where a reboot is needed for a change/fix to take full effect, but most updates don't change what happens in those DLLs much so we can get away with a mixture of versions loaded at once until the next reboot.

1 Like

Installed 12.12.3 over 12.12.2 on Windows 7. No reboot.

It seems the updated DO struggles a bit here for me.
Since the update DO crashed two times, before that DO ran for weeks without a problem (on my computer at work at least). So it's seems likely the update introduced the instability here.

Is there some measure for us to decide whether it's better to reboot and do like in the past?
(I mean despite waiting for the crash requester of course.. o).