No refresh on renaming, deleting etc

Zip and send via private message here if you want. But please link your account first.

Zipped but see no option to send a private message. Also can't link the account because got an evaluation copy of Dopus. Was gonna buy next month but with this issue... not sure now...

You should be able to send private messages now.

Click here to send one: private message

Make sure you've tried rebooting to see if the problem goes away.

I got this issue since I installed Dopus a month ago. So I rebooted about 30 times, once a day. With no help.
I will send a log tomorrow in the morning.

Another thing to check, as it can block notifications from reaching the process:

I never manually run Dopus as admin. Just open it clicking a shortcut on a status bar. Btw I’m on the last release of Windows 10 64 bit.

Sent the log.

The log seems to indicate Opus is seeing changes made on C:\ OK, but I don't know what to look for in it.

What were some of the files you deleted or renamed that should be in the log but aren't? Please give full paths.

A Process Monitor log or what happens when renaming/deleting a few of the affected files might also be worthwhile, so we can see what it thinks is happening:

• Download Microsoft's Process Monitor and extract the zip somewhere. (No installation is required.)

• Double-click Procmon.exe to launch it and accept the default filters.

• Make sure it is logging filesystem events. It should be by default, by just in case, make sure the Procmon_Filesystem icon is activated, so the toolbar looks like this:

Procmon_Modes

• With Process Monitor still logging, perform the action in Opus, then wait about 10 seconds.

• Back in Process Monitor, use File > Save, select the Native Process Monitor Format (PML), and save the log to somewhere.

• Zip up the log. It will be quite large if not compressed, but much smaller when added to a zip file.

• Send the result to crashdumps@gpsoft.com.au or via a private message. Don't post the log publicly, just in case it contains anything you don't want the world to see.

Hmmm... I thought all my activities were recorded to the log so I'm not sure the actual file names I renamed. They should be in Downloads follder: C:\Users\Fokin-EvgA\Downloads
That's all I remember.
Ok, I will try with Process Monitor and be back soon.

Sent a private message with a log

Thanks for the log! But I still don't know what to look for in it. Which actions did you do while making the Process Monitor log that I should look for?

I had a look in both the old and new log for items related to the Downloads folder, and it looks like events are coming through OK for that folder, but the only events in that folder (both according to Opus and Process Monitor) while either log was being taken were to do with Process Monitor and Debug View themselves.

It might be best to start again:

• Start both programs logging.
  • Rename (etc.) some files and make a note of which ones.
  • Save the logs.
  • Send us the new logs and details of the files that were modified.

Hi,
Sent two new logs and description.

Hello,
Got a similar issue after updating to v12.17.4 from beta .3, in my case the lister was not refreshing while performing CRT+X/V on files to another lister, i had to use F5 to update the lister.
Killing Dopus.exe/dopust.exe and starting the app again solved the issue (no reboot needed).

Many thanks!

The problem is clear from the logs now.

When files are being renamed, Opus is told the new name but not the old name, so it doesn't know which file was just renamed. The information is not being sent to it by the operating system.

This looks like a problem caused by Kaspersky, which the logs show is on the machine:

Maybe you're right but this problem occurs only in Dopus.
Windows Explorer and Total Commander have no this issue.
Why the info isn't being sent to Dopus but is being sent to Total Commander? It's a bit strange.
Unfotrunately I can't turn off Kaspersky.
But maybe you can do some things to receive this info from OS as Total Commander does.

From the linked thread, it's to do with how Kaspersky is configured to treat each process. It's probably not blocking the information being sent to the others but needs configuring to treat Opus the same.

You may need to ask Kaspersky for help, since we don't know why it is breaking notifications from the OS. We can only say that the information simply isn't arriving, and point to that thread which saw the same issue until Kaspersky was configured to allow the process to do more. (It shouldn't need turning off entirely.)

Unfortunately I not only can't turn KAV off but also can't adjust it anyway. It's my office PC and security can't allow me to do anything.
To contact Kaspersky... You know, I have almost nothing to come with. A personal nobody confirmed opinion 4 years ago on Windows 7 (where Windows 8 resolved the issue) and old .NET Framework (is Dopus .NET app?). My Windows 10 and brand new KAV are not the same. I would believe Kaspersky even didn't open a ticket.
As I see the main problem is not in KAV (and the other side software) but in your app. If Total Commander and Adobe Bridge (a sort of file explorer) can do renaming etc with no issues but your app can't I'm sure it's something wrong inside...
Anyway If you can't help me I have to stay on Total Commander. So sad but I got nothing to do...

I've written a test app you can use to see if the same problem affects a simple, standalone piece of code:

It might be worth renaming ChangeTest_64.exe to dopus.exe when testing, in case the exe name is important (although it could be a lot of other things that trigger antivirus to treat one process differently to another, e.g. initialising Winsock or something).

Source code is included to verify how it works, and that it isn't doing anything complicated. It's just reporting the raw output from the Windows API.

If it's working correctly, you should see two lines for each rename, one with the old name and one with the new name:

If you see the same problems with that, then you can be 100% sure something on the system is broken, and have a very simple and verifiable case to send to Kaspersky's support.

If you get different results in that compared to Opus, that would be strange since Opus and this code are doing the exact same thing (other than all the other things Opus does, which should not affect things unless antivirus is triggered into a different behavior by something Opus does).

1 Like

Hi,
Many thanks for your patience. Just tested. Despite the name of the app: original, Dopus, totalcmd etc... the app returns only FILE_ACTION_RENAMED_NEW_NAME and FILE_ACTION_MODIFIED confirmation. And don't return FILE_ACTION_RENAMED_OLD_NAME.
I may agree it's a not exactly ok. But:

1. It don't affect the other apps. At least I can't see it.
  2. Nobody can confirm it's a Kaspersky fault. So it's a bit not smart to email them: "My OS don't send message FILE_ACTION_RENAMED_OLD_NAME. Please fix it"
  3. As I said the other file managers don't need this OS message and works ok without it. Being a coder a bit I may wonder why do you still need a message with an old name?
    a) When a user try to change a name in the lister you know this old name for sure and the new name as well.
    b) You send a request to OS with the old and the new name.
    c) You only need a confirmation from OS that this renaming is successfully done. So mesages FILE_ACTION_RENAMED_NEW_NAME and FILE_ACTION_MODIFIED are enough.
    b) You should tell the lister to show the new file name and hide the old file name and voila everything fixed.
    c) The same with a deletion I can't test with the app provided. You need only a confirmation from OS that a deletion is succeed. And then you tell a lister to hide the file removed.

As I think it's not so difficult to perform.