No volume slider in Viewer Pane

Hello,

Please accept my apologies in advance, English is not my first language.

I'm currently having issues with the Viewer Pane and how it handles videos autoplay and volume.

Settings > Preferences... > Viewer > Plugins > ActiveX + Preview + Office + Web :

With "Windows Media Player" ENABLED, autoplay is disabled but the volume slider is missing. Therefore sound volume is controlled by OS's slider and cannot be changed on the video itself from the viewer pane.

With "Windows Media Player" DISABLED, autoplay is enable and the volume slider is visible.

I'm looking for "AUTOPLAY OFF, VOLUME SLIDER" not missing.

Thank you

Whether the viewer shows a volume slider is up to the viewer. Some do and some don't.

The only movie viewer we have any direct control over is the Opus Movie plugin, but it looks like that is not handling the files on your system. (You may be able to get it to work by messing around with codecs, but we probably need to re-write it as well, as the method it uses for playing videos seems to have become fragile/unreliable in Windows 10 for some reason.)

What the Windows Media Player preview handler and ActiveX control do are up to them.

Thank you for the answer.

If I untick "Windows Media Player" and "Generic ActiveX 32-Bit" am I correct in assuming the "Movie" plugin takes over?

I've done that and it's only generating a thumbnail.

Movie%20Plugin%20Settings

The Movie plugin is higher up the list so it is tried first, but looks like it can't find the codecs for the video.

Opus needs 64-bit codecs while most video players (that also use system codecs and not their own private ones) use 32-bit ones, which can mean one works and the other fails.

I'm still not sure how I can fix the issue. It was working perfectly fine 2 days ago.

I tried a system restore without success.

Any suggestion besides reinstalling Windows completely?

Thank you

Which viewer was it using 2 days ago?

Edit 2: if you saw what I wrote before this edit, my apologies.

It was actually using the ActiveX plugin, NOT "WMP" nor "Movie".
I was looking for a way to disable autoplay and the "fix" was to select "WMP" instead of ActiveX. But as stated in my original post, when I use WMP's it doesn't autoplay (yay!) but I cannot control the volume from the viewer pane (nay).

As a possible workaround, is it possible to have videos be MUTED ? This would fix my issue. Using either pluggin, if the volume is MUTED by default I'd be happy.

I did some poking around and the WMP ActiveX control allows both auto-play and mute to be specified, so we'll add this in the next update for the Generic ActiveX line:

The flags will be passed through to other ActiveX viewers as well, but I don't know if any others will honor them. (QuickTime ActiveX used to as well, but I doubt anyone has or wants that installed anymore. Maybe others do too.)

1 Like

Thank you for looking into this.

Must be hard to pinpoint exactly what is happening, what's causing it, what's happening because of it, how to work with and/or around it if "patching" it out isn't working.. and also id-10-t / pebkac errors and the like .. especially since a simple change of default media player in os settings can break something somewhere we may never know about..

i have a curious mind but I'm no developer, nor analyst so thank you.. i appreciate the great product i've been using for these long years. current issue fixed or not, this is a superb piece of software and thanks again.
my apologies for being so emotional at this hour

1 Like

Hi!

I saw the post regarding latest beta version and was quite happy to see this :

You can now turn off auto-play, and turn on volume mute, for some ActiveX viewers via the ActiveX + Preview + Office + Web plugin. This only works if the ActiveX control understands the appropriate properties. It's known to work with the Windows Media Player ActiveX control (note: not the Preview Handler, which already disables auto-play by default).

I can confirm that this works perfectly and "fixes" my "issues" (more like.. prevents annoyance rather than "fixes an issue").

Thanks!

1 Like