Not Responding switching .MOV videos in viewer

This is repeatable for me. My starting point is a few filtered videos. I select the last one and then open the viewer pane with F7. The video starts playing and I can immediately see that it is not the one I am looking for so I click on the video immediately above. The viewer pane goes blank and some time later, a minute or so, I see the Not Responding message on the title bar. Task Manager data as appended below. I took some Process Monitor dumps and will send to crashdumps. Opus version is 12.24.4.

Regards, AB

It looks like the video player (I'm guessing Windows Media Player ActiveX control) is hanging. Could be the player itself or the codec/splitter components it's using in turn, but none of those are part of Opus or things we can fix.

If you install codecs/splitters for MOV files that let Opus's own Movie plugin play the files, that may work better.

(We plan to re-write that plugin in the future so it works better with the components installed by default in Windows, since Microsoft seem to have stopped including the components the Movie plugin depends on by default in Windows 10.)

The hang happens on System A but not on System B. Both systems are running the same Windows 10 version and Opus version and viewer plugin configurations are identical. Is there some way for me to drill down to a lower level to see what codecs/splitters are being used? I am not aware of having installed anything different but of course it is quite likely that I have, directly or indirectly at some point in the past. Alternatively, any recommendations on codecs/splitters that I could try on the system that misbehaves?

I decided to try the K-Lite Codec Pack and can confirm that the hang does not happen when it is installed. Just as an observation, and presumably nothing to do with Opus, the video playback quality in the F7 viewer window is noticeably better without K-Lite when the size of the viewer window is small. It improves rapidly when the window size is increased.