"OneDrive done right is back"

I'm curious, should we expect any difficulties with the future OneDrive? :grimacing:

Any insiders that have tried it yet?

It'd be nice if Microsoft could either make OneDrive transparent (like every other cloud storage app) or, if applications have to explicitly know it is there and go out of their way to make things work with it, it'd be nice if Microsoft made up their minds and stopped drastically changing how it works twice per version of Windows. :slight_smile:

Trying to keep Microsoft's "me too" implementations of other people's ideas supported feels like a thankless task when they keep giving up on them or changing how they work. (I'm still annoyed about UAC, which we support better than Microsoft do, despite them creating shortcuts which only they can use to work around their terrible UI design. :)).

Going back to OneDrive, it sounds like it is moving toward being properly transparent. We may need to turn off some old code, but it should not be difficult or take long if that is the case.

But there may also be problems like the Description column could cause all of the files to be downloaded locally if the new OneDrive downloads the whole file as soon as it is opened (rather than only downloading the parts of the file that are actually read by applications). So you may need to configure things with care in the OneDrive folder, if you use things that tend to access the inside file contents.

Indeed it seems that the automatic downloading is what everyone's afraid of. Being built right into the system makes it seem like apps will all continue to work without realizing it. But for many things it's probably not that simple, and when something breaks, i doubt it'll be Windows receiving the blame. So they may be forcing a bit of work on a lot of people, developer people that is. :wink: (but i guess that ain't anything new)

I think it has potential though. Seems like a natural progression to me.
But yea they probably should have done it better the first time.

At least now they have the Insider rounds first before it becomes standard, which wasn't the case before with W8 was it, so that's probably a good thing. If it doesn't work or isn't liked, the community will speak up.

If it doesn't work, people can always switch to one of the 20 other awful cloud storage products it competes with. :slight_smile:

When you're lucky, they do its job. :grimacing:

I do like Dropbox though for some reason. It's very friendly.
But a single user plan is about the same price as a 5 person family plan with OneDrive. :cry:
(and doesn't even include Office)