OneDrive Synced folders cannot detect content change

Has anyone with this issue tried Opus 13?

Yes, I also have this same issue with Opus 13. So I have to leave a place for the folder tree pane to make the refresh work even though I do not know why.

I'm going to try with Opus 13 today but sounds like Weeken's alraedy confirmed its still an issue.

I doubt there is anything we can do in that case. It appears to be an issue outside of Opus (else running ChangeTest.exe at the same time would not affect anything).

I suppose we could run something like ChangeTest.exe in the background automatically or something, but I'm not sure that is a real solution to whatever is going wrong inside the filesystem notification API (or Defender, possibly, since it's a folder containing documents and sometimes tools like that try to hide anything to do with them from other software).

So you still can not pick up the folder changes even if you keep the tree folder pane open?

For my case, maybe adding some codes similar to what the tree folder pane does in the background will help.

Considering the prevalence of OneDrive wouldn’t you want to make sure Directory Opus 13 works reliably with OneDrive though? If there’s nothing you can do work-around the issue does that mean DO13 will fully release with this issue and for some people using OneDrive in Directory Opus may mean not having their listers reflect the true state of the folder?

If a third-party utility such as ChangeTest is required to ensure this issue doesn’t happen, as s1de7 suggests, users could do that but it just seems there must be away to address this within Dopus itself without having to download other utilities to ensure the software works correctly, especially considering it affects such a prominent cloud service and the issue is quite serious when it hits.

I hope you can figure something out.

I've just downloaded DO13 so I need to do some testing on it so I don't know if this works or not yet.

However Dopus 13 has this really nice integrated tree within the lister itself so you can open multiple folders right within the lister itself without having to have the full directory tree window open. So for that reason I don't really want to have another pane open with the directory tree as it serves no fucntion to me and takes up space.

If something extra is required to ensure Dopus/OneDrive work well together I think i'll go with an external third-party app though.

Hi, Leo,
I come back to add some thought to this. (I'm the initiator of this thread and getting quite many replied lately).
For now I switched on the folder tree pane to somehow hack this, so temporarily it's working now.
However, shouldn't you still be able to do some fix on this? -- I mean I know you believe it shouldn't be wrong of DOpus itself, but seeing below facts:

• in DOpus this issue exists with OneDrive, and it's annoying
  • If I get C:\ tab on, it's fixed
  • If I get folder tree pane on, it's also fixed
    From pure pragmatic point of view, aren't you be able to try a "OneDrive Issue fix" in the setting item, with which enabled, DOpus simply simulate the C:\ tab in one invisible pane, or the folder tree?
    We are not able to prove it's fault of DOpus but we are not planning to either, we just want DOpus back to be failure-free and frustration-free.

Do you think that's possible?

3 Likes

Hello - confirmed I am also seeing this issue. It happens even with only light usage of OneDrive.
Yesterday I had a folder with ~ 20 items in it, and I was only updating a couple of them (jpgs, pdfs and word documents), but the changes were not being shown in OneDrive.
I am using Sophos anti-virus rather than Defender. Disabling it had no effect.
ChangeView sees the changes OK and seems to force Opus to start seeing them again. Also, pausing and restarting OneDrive seemed to help, although this could be coincidental. I have been through the recommended steps and confirmed it is not a settings issue.
I am happy to share debug info directly with the devs if requested but do not want to post it to an open forum.
OneDrive is important to me and I agree with sentiment in this thread that there's an issue here that is unique to Opus. It looks way too early to conclude that the issue is with Windows not Opus; no other app appears to hav this issue. In any case, I use Opus as an Explorer replacement and so it does seem to me that it is reasonable to expect it to work with the OS's in-built file syncing capability.

1 Like

@Leo any updates on this? I think this needs to be fixed or unfortunately you need to stop advertising Opus as an Explorer Replacement. OneDrive is native functionality in Windows 11 and accessed exclusively through Explorer.

1 Like

Also curious about the status here... I still have to keep the folder tree on at all times which is taking up some real estate (even with the slimmest width) and resources to update the paths. I personally never found good use of the folder tree myself.

I have been using DO and onedrive for years and didn't see that issue until sometime last year (not sure if that was only with Version 13 or with Version 12 already).

Getting this fixed soon would be appreciated

Basically if you exit directory opus and then go back in does it show the files and folders correctly? If so then it could be notifications of changes are not getting to directory opus. I turned this on

Sync status for files is shown in the Availability column, and an icon representing the sync status is shown (by default) in the Status column (a new option in Preferences / Folders / Folder Display lets you turn this off if you want). The sync icons are also shown in the icon display modes.

Tells me when files are uploaded might help.

I used to have this problem with usb hard drives not being recognised in opus but in explorer until I exited Directory Opus and reopened it. Moved to version 13 solved that issue.

I think the issue is that directory opus is not monitoring for changes when connected to onedrive. But when you exit and go back in it does do a search for changes.

If you refresh Opus does it show the files correctly, if so then it could be a refresh issue.

Here is the behavior I am observing. If the folder tree is turned off and some tool creates a new file in the directory that's open and active in DO, DO will NOT show the newly added file.

It will show that file if you refresh the folder contents with F5 or if I close and open DO. Both are rather unacceptable for a file manager.

Only when the folder tree is turned on, DO will update the directory immediately when the new file has been added

I'm happy to report we have a fix for this, it should be available in the next beta version (13.3.1).

5 Likes

Excellent, this is good news. Thanks for taking a look at this!!!

Hi, Guys,
I noticed 13.4 release has this covered.
Directory Opus 13.4 - New Releases - Directory Opus Resource Centre (dopus.com)

1 Like

13.4 has numerous issues, not the least the inability to move large block files, the transfer rate is abysmal the inability to use third-party programs like Teracopy is making it impossible to use this version. I am running this on an I7 12th gen with 128Gig of RAM and it just took 25 minutes to transfer 500 eps files within the same disc, the transfer rate was never that great but this is absurd. We have taken every precaution and proactively tried to make an environment to make this work and it has been impossible.

You've posted this in a random thread. Please make a new one if you want support.

By default, Opus 13 copies files using the same API as File Explorer, and this didn't change in 13.4. The only difference that might affect things is 13.4 was signed with my authenticode key rather than Jon's, which might cause bad antivirus to treat it differently when copying files.

You can change the file copy method back to the one Opus 12 used via Preferences / Miscellaneous / Advanced: [Filesystem] copy_allow_delegation = False, but it's usually best to leave it as-is.

Greetings Opi

OBSERVATION = For the first time I am unambiguously seeing this issue on a corporate laptop (No Opus ever installed/run) from Windows Explorer.

COMMENT = I thought it worth noting this observation here given how long and painful this matter was and so far as I knew without any fix (Although I see the @Jon comment Feb 23 that Opus has come to some sort of fix for which I for one am grateful for!)

FORUM ETIQUETTE = I know it is not always good form to add to an old post I thought since I am making an observation only on this matter it is ok!