Open directory in new tab without duplicate?

But it seems that DirOpus does not do what I would like
For example if I open a Directory there will be a Tab with it I close DirOpus when I click with the mouse again on the same directory that is in the "desktop" DirOpus should open and search if the Directory is already in the tabs that were previously opened if it was not supposed to duplicate creating a new Tab for the directory.

I tested the "DirOpus startup" settings
in "Explorer Replacement" -> "Open External Call Folders in a New Tab"
"Open all Manager Guides when opening a new Manager"
I also tweaked settings -> "Set as default manager"

None of this works I did several combinations and it doesn't work.
what I need is that every time I click on a folder on the Desktop when opening DirOpus if the folder already exists in the Tabs it does not duplicate
if not, create a new tab.

If we're talking about opening folders from outside of Opus, that should happen automatically (and does for me).

If you do this, do you see the same thing?

• Close all Opus windows.
  • Double-click a folder on the Windows desktop to open it in a new Opus window.
  • Create a new tab in that window, and activate it.
  • Double-click the folder on the Window desktop again, in exactly the same way as a moment ago.

Opus should then switch to the tab that is already open.

If it doesn't, make sure Opus isn't running elevated.

he duplicates the Guide he should find the guide that has already been opened and just focus

see this video

Attached my settings if you can take them and modify them I thank you

Config do Opus – 2020-10-29.ocb (91.1 KB)

Looks like this is caused by the combination of opening folders from outside of Opus and having the option "Open the Listers that were open when the program was last closed" checked. In the video the lister gets closed, not just minimized.

Looks like this is caused by the combination of opening folders from outside of Opus and having the option "Open the Listers that were open when the program was last closed" checked. In the video the lister gets closed, not just minimized.

and what is the solution to this problem ?

Well, I wouldn't consider it a bug. Opus does what you want it to do: Open the default lister and the external link. I don't think there is an option that would change that behavior. Simply closing the new tab manually is probably the easiest solution.

A script could close new tabs whose target is already open elsewhere, if it's really a big problem for you. Guess it is, otherwise you wouldn't have created this thread :wink:

Well, I wouldn't consider it a bug. Opus does what you want it to do: Open the default lister and the external link. I don't think there is an option that would change that behavior. Simply closing the new tab manually is probably the easiest solution.

A script could close new tabs whose target is already open elsewhere, if it's really a big problem for you. Guess it is, otherwise you wouldn't have created this thread

So I don't want you to duplicate the tab if it already exists, you said a script can you pass it to me?

Because this behavior is bad arrives at the end of the day I have many duplicate tabs and I would not like that.

Installing this script looks like it would take care of things:

That said... Do you really want Open all Default Lister tabs when opening a new window and Update Default Lister automatically when closing a Lister both on at once? You will keep accumulating folder tabs until you manually close them, even ignoring the issue of multiple tabs for the same folder.

1 Like

unfortunately it doesn't work for me

see this attached video.

Config do Opus – 2020-10-30.ocb (77.7 KB)

I also put my configuration file for you to see what's wrong with it

Try this one, which I just wrote:

Hello it was good but when I am opening an existing directory by Diropus it does not delete and Foca a Tab, from what I realized he can only do it through the Desktop.

How are you opening the folder exactly?

Watch the video below
Example if I create a new Tab and find a directory already exists it will let it duplicate and if I already have a Tab with another directory and also find it will leave

I would like you to block all possibilities of duplicating a tab by always focusing on the tab with the directory I tried to access.

You could modify the script to do that, but I think it would be a little weird and get in your way. If you want to manually and explicitly create to tabs that point to the same folder, you should be able to.

You may want to put one in Details and the other in Thumbnails, or use one to start a search while the other stays as it is, or various other things. Making it impossible to have two tabs for the same folder will get in your way more than it will help.

It would also really get in your way if you had, say:

• Tab 1: C:\Windows
  • Tab 2: C:\

And you wanted to move Tab 2 to C:\Windows\System32 by double-clicking Windows, then System32.

You would lose tab 1 or tab 2 in the process, even though the desired end result was two tabs in different folders. It just doesn't make sense to do this. Navigating to a folder in a tab that is already open should not close that tab (or any other).

The script could be changed to do what you want, but I'm not interested in making those changes as I don't think it makes sense.

For commands which open a folder in a new tab (not changing what an existing tab shows), you can use the NEWTAB=findexisting argument to switch to an existing tab.

1 Like

Also note, for the folder tree, you can change the left click event to make it look for existing tabs (without opening new tabs):

You may also want to change it so that left-clicking a folder that's already open in a tab will switch to that tab rather than reading it into the current tab. The command for this would be Go TABFINDEXISTING .

From: https://www.gpsoft.com.au/help/opus12/index.html#!Documents/Prefs/Selection_Events.htm

If you could create another variant of this script doing what I need I would be very grateful because I looked at the script's code and didn't understand anything.

The reason why I want to block all forms of duplicating a folder is because I showed you a video with few tabs but my reality is different I always have about 45 tabs or more I always work with many directories and I forget that I already have a directory it was opened and I end up opening the same directory several times which I end up getting with this exaggerated amount of Guides and as the DirOpus is very robust and I have a 32GB RAM Computer I don't notice slowness I just get lost with this amount of guides.

So I will be very grateful if I can create a variant of the Script with this Block never duplicating a Guide.

If you're opening them via the folder tree, a solution is in my previous reply.

Via most other methods, you can use the same TABFINDEXISTING argument, or NEWTAB=findexisting (depending on whether you want a new tab when none exists for that folder, or to change the current tab).

Exact steps will depend on which methods you're using to open the unwanted folders/tabs.

(You could also just close the folder tabs you're no longer using! Avoid the mess and the problem doesn't happen. There's no point keeping a tab open if you can't even remember it's open and will never go back to it.)

2 Likes

Yes I understand your previous answer but I don't know how to create a script using this:
TABFINDEXISTING And NEWTAB=findexisting

If you could make another variant of the Script with this argument I would be very grateful to you.

hello could someone help me i really tried but i couldn't use the "TABFINDEXISTING AND NEWTAB = findexisting".

I really need to block all tabs so they are not duplicated.

If someone could create a variant of the Script I would be very grateful.

If it's navigation via the folder tree (like in your video) that you want to change, you don't need a script for that.

The Selection Events page I linked to explains how to do that:

• Go to Preferences / Folder Tree / Selection Events
  • Change the Left mouse button, Normal event to run Go TABFINDEXISTING.

If it's other methods of opening tabs or changing folders that you want to change, please tell us what they are and we can advise how to do it.