Open full screen from Win 10 pinned tile - speed

I have just changed from win7 to win10 and I'm exploring the pinned tiles. I have allocated Dopus to open files in lieu of default File Explorer. I have "pinned to start" the various hard drives to the "pinned tiles" screen.

When I left click the the tile it doesn't immediately open (eg C Drive) full screen. I do have Dopus on the task bar and it slowly flashes / throbs requiring another click on the Dopus icon (on the taskbar) to make it go full screen.

It is possible to Right Click on a tile >>> More >>> Open File location and it opens immediately -- but is a little tedious.

I would like to click a tile and it open full screen to that HD (or directory). I assume its a change in Settings >> Preferences, but I can't locate it.

I have also unpinned the tile from start and tried re-doing it through Dopus (selecting the HD >> Right Click >> More >> Pin to Start,) however the tile is not created when I do it that way. (Is this a bug, or peculiar to my install?)

It is taking up to a minute or more to go full screen (without clicking the Dopus icon on the taskbar) whereas, the right click method is instantaneous.

Is there a preference selection to make clicking a Directory/HD pinned tile go full screen immediately? (Rather than the sluggish delay or using the right click method.)

Many thanks

(Edit 08/Dec/2019: Updated for newer versions of Opus.)

This looks like an error in the way the Start Menu launches folder shortcuts, since the same shortcuts do not have problems anywhere else. I'm guessing the Start Menu assumes Explorer is going to handle them.

It isn't allowing Opus to become the active window (unlike when any other kind of shortcut is launched, or when folder shortcuts are launched outside the Start Menu).

You can work around it by giving the Start Menu a different kind of shortcut and pinning that. A shortcut which runs a command like this will open a new Opus window for the C:\ drive:

"C:\Program Files\GPSoftware\Directory Opus\dopusrt.exe" /acmd Go NEW PATH=C:\

Pinning a shortcut like that to the Start Menu works correctly and allows Opus to come to the front when the icon is clicked.

This zip has a pre-made shortcut for the C drive to save you having to make it from scratch. Just edit the drive letter at the end of the command to create similar things for other drives.

C_Drive_Shortcut.zip (941 Bytes)

(You may need to pin it using Explorer or the Desktop, since Microsoft appear to have blocked or broken "Pin to Start" from working in any other process, not just Opus.)

Hi Leo, and first of all Thanks for your response and the shortcuts. (FYI I was a Dopus user back in the days of the Amiga, it was a fantastic tool then and even better now. )

I haven't had any luck in getting it to work. I tried for several hours shifting / pinning from the desktop and pinning by using the default file manager etc... I've tried fiddling withthe preferences and looking at google. For me, regardless of what I try, it simply opens my default lister.

However, I am going to move on and adjust my way of doing things, by utilizing the pins to launch my most common programs, use the old programs for the less use programs and turn my desktop into a big Dopus launch button (as well as Dopus being the startup screen.)

Thanks again, for your help and for Dopus. I have been converting from Win7 to Win10 and have found it takes a bit of getting used to. Dopus is making it much more user friendly and much better than the default windows file handler.

If you look at the shortcut you were pinning, did it definitely have the same command as above?

Make sure it is running dopusRT.exe not dopus.exe, and that it has the extra arguments on the end.

Hi Leo, Yes, several times - including direct C&P substitute and also C&P into notepad and comparing character to character. I have "My PC" as the opening lister that shows all my HD and removables so it works out ok..
This is the code in the shortcut:
"C:\Program Files\GPSoftware\Directory Opus\dopusrt.exe" /acmd Go NEW C:\

Thanks again for your help, it is appreciated!

1 Like

That looks right, and it definitely worked for me (at least the few times I tried it). I guess there's another variable somewhere but I can't think what it is, unfortunately. Sorry!

But if you have an alternative then that's good. If I think of something I'll post it here.

I have the same problem as OP. I tried your suggestion and put in the following to pin a shortcut to the DESKTOP:

"C:\Program Files\GPSoftware\Directory Opus\dopusrt.exe" /acmd Go NEW "C:\Users\John\Desktop"

However, instead of opening to the desktop, Directory Opus opened up only to the C:\ drive. No matter what I change the last path to, Directory Opus always opens only up to the C:\ drive. Do I have put in a different command?

Add PATH= before the path to fix things:

"C:\Program Files\GPSoftware\Directory Opus\dopusrt.exe" /acmd Go NEW PATH="C:\Users\John\Desktop"

(I've updated my old post above to correct this.)

It works! Thanks so much.