Open new lister with a specific Folder Format?

I want a command to open the current folder in a new lister, and apply a particular Folder Format to that lister. But the button as I have made it does not work.

GO NEW=nodual SET FORMAT=details

A new lister is opened, but the Folder Format is applied to the folder where I started, not to the new lister.

Basically, I'm trying to figure out how to open a new lister with several extra columns enabled. Perhaps I'm going about it wrong?

[quote="newguy"]GO NEW=nodual
SET FORMAT=details[/quote]
I think that will open a new lister, and set the current lister to details mode.

Easiest way is to create a Layout of what you want, then have the command open that.

You can open a layout like this:

Prefs LAYOUT="Music Albums" LAYOUTCLOSELISTERS=no

But layouts open specific folders, right? I want to use whatever folder is currently active...

The Go command can be told to use a layout when opening the new lister, eg:

Go CURRENT NEW LAYOUT="My Layout"

Alternatively, you can give the Go command a VIEW argument to specify the view mode (if all you are using the saved format for is to switch to details mode):

Go CURRENT NEW VIEW=Details

Perhaps I'll just have to do it manually - open a new lister, then choose a Folder Format from the list. It's an extra step, but it works.

I want to set up several different Folder Formats for different tasks - one with all size-related columns on, another with date-related columns on. It seems you can set up a Folder Format, save it, move it to Favorites, then clear it from the original folder, and it stick around, ready to be applied when needed :slight_smile:

Oops, just saw your reply jon. I tried your command, but it didn't work for me for some reason. I just got a new default lister...

But no matter. I'll just stick with the two-step method for this. Thanks!

Jon's VIEW=Details suggestion seems to work for me, FWIW.

(Go CURRENT NEW VIEW=Details, that is.)

leo, my usual view is details. What I'm looking for is a way to easily apply different column configurations to a newly opened lister.

The code that wasn't working for me is the first one jon posted:

Go CURRENT NEW LAYOUT="My Layout"

I considered using Styles, but since there's no way to switch from Dual to Single then back to Dual without Opus forgetting what folders were open, then Styles is not an option.

So I just added a Folder Formats submenu to my View menu. I don't actually use any Content Type Formats, so the only ones that show up in the menu are ones I explicitly add to the Favorites section of Folder Formats. It's quick work to apply one of these after opening the current folder in a new lister, and they don't effect what's going on my primary dual-pane lister in any way. It's a workable solution.

If you only want to toggle columns, you could try this button-code:

Set COLUMNSTOGGLE=<your column here>

Thanks, Christiaan. I do use this in a couple of buttons to turn single columns on and off, but I'm looking for something a big more grand. I want to turn off a set of columns and turn on a different set - that command just won't give me what I need.

My regular set:
Name; Size; Type; Modified

Example of a desired set:
Name; Age; Created; Modified; Accessed

Or:
Name; Bitrate; Dimensions; Video Codec; Size; Duration

As far as I know, Folder Formats are the best way to accomplish this, but I want to apply them on demand in a new single-pane lister, rather than fix them to particular folders, or have them applied automatically based on a folder's contents.

FWIW: Did you know you can create sets using this code:

Set COLUMNS=name,size,type,modified

Yes, I tried using that earlier with the GO NEW command:

GO NEW=nodual Set COLUMNS=name,size,type,modified

But I faced the same problem as I did with Folder Formats - a new lister opens, but the specified columns are set in the old lister, not the newly opened one.

To be able to do what you want in just 1 step (open the current folder in a new lister and turn on a set of columns) you need a command like:

Go CURRENT NEW COLUMNS=name,size,type,modified

So, as far as I know, you can't do this in just 1 step (COLUMNS only works with the SET command). :wink:

I add this menu button to my Menu Bar. It contains many commands related to Folder Options and Folder Formats. Give it a try and see if it makes your life a little easier. See this post for how to add it to a toolbar of your choice.

<?xml> <button> <label>Folder &amp;Options...</label> <tip>Edit the file display appearance and settings for the current folder (menu has related commands)</tip> <icon1>#folderoptions</icon1> <function> <instruction>Properties FOLDEROPTIONS</instruction> </function> <button> <label>Edit Folder Formats</label> <tip>Edit Preferences for: Folder Formats, Content Type Formats, Default Formats, and Favorite Formats</tip> <icon1>#format</icon1> <function> <instruction>Prefs PAGE=folderformats </instruction> </function> </button> <button> <label>Format &amp;Lock</label> <tip>Toggle Format Lock, which locks or unlocks the active file display&apos;s Folder Options.</tip> <icon1>208</icon1> <function> <instruction>Set FORMATLOCK=Toggle</instruction> </function> </button> <button> <label>Folder Formats</label> <tip>Displays lists of all enabled Content Type Formats and Favorite Formats.</tip> <function> <instruction>Properties FORMATLIST</instruction> </function> </button> <button> <label>Reset to Folder Format</label> <tip>Reset the current file display&apos;s Folder Options to those saved in the Folder Format for the listed folder (if any).</tip> <function> <instruction>Set FORMAT=!folder</instruction> </function> </button> <button> <label>&amp;Sort By...</label> <button> <label>Sortable &amp;Columns</label> <tip>Displays a list of all displayed columns allowing you to select which one to sort by</tip> <function> <instruction>Set SORTBY=sortlist</instruction> </function> </button> <button> <label>&amp;Sort Files/Folders</label> <tip>Allows you to change how Files and Folders are sorted</tip> <button> <label>Fol&amp;ders First</label> <tip>Sort folders before files</tip> <function> <instruction>Set SORTORDER=Folders </instruction> </function> </button> <button> <label>&amp;Files First</label> <tip>Sort files before folders</tip> <function> <instruction>Set SORTORDER=Files</instruction> </function> </button> <button> <label>&amp;Mixed</label> <tip>Sort files mixed among folders</tip> <function> <instruction>Set SORTORDER=mixed</instruction> </function> </button> </button> <button> <label>&amp;Numeric Sorting</label> <tip>Toggles Numeric order filename sorting</tip> <function> <instruction>Set SORTNUMERIC=Toggle </instruction> </function> </button> <button> <label>&amp;Word Sorting</label> <tip>Toggles Word Sorting (special handling for hyphens, etc)</tip> <function> <instruction>Set SORTNUMERIC=Toggle </instruction> </function> </button> </button> <button> <label>&amp;Autosize Columns</label> <tip>Autosize all column widths to the widest content (Details/Power mode only)</tip> <function> <instruction>Set AUTOSIZECOLUMNS=widest</instruction> </function> </button> </button>

That looked like an interesting bunch of stuff. But it brings up something I have seen before. I can't add it.

I have scrupulously follow the instructions in the link to How to add buttons from this forum to your toolbars. But when I get to the place where I should "Paste" that option is "greyed out".

I have been able to get this to work in the past. So I know that it can work.

I don't deal with xml much, but it appears it's not quite valid changing the first line to this activates the "Paste" function:

<?xml version="1.0"?> 

But the resulting button is partially broken, i think the opening and should have display and type attributes included in them.

Maybe Ken can drag out the .dcf

The pasted text was not actually valid XML - it should start with <?xml> rather than . phpBB is stupid and tends to corrupt XML code when you paste it into a post.

I've edited the post so if you try again it should work now.

phpBB mangles XML unless HTML is disabled for the post.

We disabled HTML by default in the standard reply form but, unfortunately, the mod which adds the Quick Reply form at the bottom of each page always enables HTML for posts you make through it.

[quote="sweetfunny"]I don't deal with xml much, but it appears it's not quite valid changing the first line to this activates the "Paste" function:

<?xml version="1.0"?> 

But the resulting button is partially broken, i think the opening and should have display and type attributes included in them.

Maybe Ken can drag out the .dcf[/quote]

That worked. Thanks.

I didn't realise that it was checking the code before allowing paste.

At least that is one way of preventing idiots like me from adding nonsense code to toolbars.

Here's the file.
Folder Options....dcf (3.46 KB)