Opening folder of images - unable to browse forwards and backwards

If I open a folder containing images in File Explorer then double click to open an image I can then browse through the rest of the images in the folder with the cursor keys.

With Opus if I do the same thing I get File Explorer opening with the image displayed but the cursor keys do not do anything. Is there a config option to fix this?

The behaviour is the same in 12.2.

Double-clicking images would not normally open File Explorer. Did you really mean that or did you mean the Opus image viewer (or some other image viewer) is opening?

I have it configured to not use the internal viewer. This is the behaviour I want. I prefer the Windows built in file viewer.

To make sure I've understood, you want to use this program as your image viewer?:

How have you set that up, in terms of the file type commands to open it when an image is double-clicked?

No, there's a separate image viewer that is launched by default when you double click on an image from File Explorer. The setup in Opus is simply to have the option Use Internal Picure viewer set to ""unrecognized file types" or disable it completely. The image viewer comes up if you double click on the image:

Thank you, I understand now. That viewer isn't part of Explorer, it's the Microsoft Photos app.

Unfortunately, it is also a "Metro" application, which means everything about it is obfuscated and there is no direct way to run it.

I can't tell you why it doesn't let you browse to other files when you launch it via Opus. All we do is tell Windows to open the file, and Windows does the rest. Windows or the viewer then appear to do something different in Explorer and Opus.

This happens even if you launch it via the Open With > Choose Default Program, which is even more outside of Opus's control. (There, we just tell Windows to display the Open With dialog, and everything else that happens is done by Windows. We do not even know which program was selected as the program choice and launch are all handled by the OS without our involvement.

This looks like a defect in the Microsoft Photos app, since it does not always enumerate the other files in the same folder.

Out of curiosity, why do you prefer the Windows viewer over Opus? I used it yesterday for the first time and didn't see anything that the Opus viewer couldn't do. It seemed quite slow on the machine I was using.

@Blueroly: The Win 7 and Win 10 viewers are different programs, by the way (assuming your profile OS version is up to date).

For whatever interest it might be, Windows Photo Viewer normally used in Windows 7 can be activated in Windows 10. I used Winaero Tweaker to do it.

winaero.com/blog/how-get-windows ... ws-10-rtm/ claims to explain what Winaero Tweaker actually does to accomplish this.

Thanks for the explanation. I guess File Explorer must be passing command line parameters or otherwise launching it differently, which is quite bad behaviour.

I'm using Windows 10 by the way.

Well for one, I'm used to using it. Second it lets me move through images with the cursor keys (which I presume could be configured in Opus). Third I can edit, crop and save images right there as I'm browsing/viewing.

There's a crop menu item in the Opus viewer but it is greyed out and I cannot figure out how to use it or to select part of an image. Can the Opus viewer do this? Does it have any other editing functions?

You can browse to the next/prev images using the cursor keys in the Opus viewer, if you're using Opus 12. The viewer's toolbar/menu and hotkeys are all configurable now.

e.g. Create a new Viewer Hotkey for which runs Show VIEWERCMD=next when you push the right arrow key.

To crop in Opus you have to select first, then the crop option will be enabled. How to select depends on your viewer configuration under Preferences / Viewer / Mouse Buttons. (Note that if Left Mouse Button is set to Scroll Image, you can hold Shift to select using LMB. If it's set to select, you can hold Shift to scroll.)

The viewer's default keyboard and mouse behavior is described here in the manual.

Thanks. How would I configure it so that I can use the mouse to select the image instead of Scroll? Ideally I want the same behaviour as the Photos app - cursor = forward/backward, mouse = select. Do I configure this specifically for the viewer or globally?

Can I do other editing tasks in the Opus viewer? The Windows "viewer" (Photos app) has a full editing feature set. Hence why I'd like to have it open for image browsing from Opus.

You can change what the mouse buttons do under Preferences / Viewer / Mouse Buttons.

The Opus viewer can do some editing. It depends what you want to do.

I know the Opus tool can do rotation and cropping. I am referring to image manipulation e.g. basic fixes including one-click "enhance button", as well as straightening, red-eye removal, and "retouch," which lets you tap and smooth away blemishes, colour and brightness adjustments, filters etc.