Opening multiple files problem

Sorry for resurrecting this old thread but it was not locked and I experience similar problem with Opus 10.0.3 with media files and Winamp. The problem is not present in other two file managers I tried (one of them being Windows Explorer).

So the problem is: in Opus when I press enter on selected mp3 files all files are opened sequentially one after the other. Because in Winamp I have option to allow multiple instances disabled (is also default) it will just quickly go through all selected mp3 files (presumably as Opus feeds them to Winamp) and end up playing the last one (while others are "forgotten"). I can only play all selected files in Opus by right clicking on them and selecting Play in Winamp in context menu. Once again, this only happens in Opus.

I would very much appreciate if this could be fixed as I am used to selecting music files and pressing enter to play them this way. :slight_smile:

Can I please get reply on this? Thanks!

We've been looking into it but don't have a definitive answer yet.

That sounds like it came from a magic 8 ball :laughing:
Ok thanks I will be patient. :slight_smile:

FWIW, the problem is definitely unrelated to the MSWord problem from 2008 that this thread was originally about.

From what I've looked at today, the issue is from the way Opus handles programs that register themselves in a particular way, which Winamp (and a handful of other programs) use, and a difference in how Opus handles the context menu vs pushing return to launch files.

There's a couple of ways we could fix it, and we're working out the best one at the moment.

Here's a workaround for the Winamp problem:

Extract the zip file and install the script as follows (same steps as shown in the video):

• Go to /dopusdata and create a Scripts folder (if it doesn't already exist).

• Move LaunchAndWait.vbs into the Scripts folder.

• Open Settings -> File Types and double-click the Music file type group.

• Double-click the Left double-click Event, and paste in the command that's in the Command.txt file.

Edit 2021:

• It may also be worth a try to set the double-click action to FileType ACTION=shellex without the script. That will work with some music players and is much easier to set up.

I saw the same behaviour jsys reported for Winamp with Aimp3. The workaround leo provided didn't help. I finally found a setting in Aimp3 that fixed it: Aimp3=>Settings =>Playlist=>Files adding=>Open files from external applications=>Add to current playlist when one file is sent
Unfortunately Winamp doesn't seem to have a similar option.

Thanks it works!

Only thing strange is that it didn't work out of the box: path "\dopusdata\Scripts\LaunchAndWait.vbs" was invalid because Opus searched for "...\Directory Opus\Scripts\LaunchAndWait.vbs" for some reason (see screenshot in attachment).

However I've just put the script in the path it expects and it works. :thumbsup:

That path should start with a / not a , because /dopusdata is a path alias (but \dopusdata is just a relative path).

But I'm guessing that was just a typo in your post, from the error message.

The error message shows the correct path (assuming that is where your AppData is stored). That is where the file should have been, but presumably you copied it to somewhere else instead?

Yes that's it, I actually created "dopusdata" folder, I didn't realize "dopusdata" is actually just an alias. :laughing:

I'm wondering why it is not possible (in Opus) to call winamp.exe with string of selected file paths as an argument?

I'm trying for over an hour now, but no amount of sorcery in File Type Groups Event Editor will call my vbs script just once and with list of all selected files. Also why is it not possible to go without the vbs script and just call winamp.exe with something like {allfile$} (quoted paths and filenames separated by spaces) as an argument?

It is possible to make Opus do that, but Winamp won't do anything useful when you do because Winamp's has extremely basic command-line functionality, unless you install 3rd party plugins that improve it. :frowning:

But Winamp does support specifying files by passing them as quoted filenames with spaces like this:

C:\path\to\winamp\winamp.exe "j:\music\track1.mp3" "j:\music\track2.mp3" "j:\music\track3.mp3" "j:\music\track9001.mp3"

Then {allfilespath} or {allfilepath} (on my phone so can't check the exact name) should work for that.

Back at a computer now. It's {allfilepath}

I remembered why this won't work when you select files and push return, however. In that situation, each file is handled separately rather than all the files at once, so {allfilepath} will only return one file at a time, and the command will be run once per file.

(That doesn't affect other situations, like selecting files and running a toolbar button, hotkey or context menu item.)

Just as I thought, there is no way to make it work as described for return key (i.e., calling winamp.exe only once no matter how much files). :neutral_face:
Can GPSoftware patch Opus so that executing files via return behaves more consistently? I think that would solve all related future problems, not just for Winamp :thumbsup:

Not easily, since it'd require reworking of a lot of stuff. Part of the problem is that Opus can override double click actions, and it's also complex (and not really documented) to work out exactly what the OS will do for each file before actually doing the standard action.

Changing this would risk breaking several other things, so we'd be reluctant to do so. I'm not being lazy here btw, I spent an entire day looking at it last week before deciding the workaround script was a better way to solve the winamp problem.

Ok, thanks for your time & effort, I'll simply (continue to) use your vbs script workaround then! :slight_smile:

Hey Leo,

I just posted my problem opening music files sequentially in WinAmp, but I then discovered you provided a script that fixes that problem back in 2012. Problem solved.

My hat's off to you. Thanks so much for taking the trouble.

epat

Hey All

Trying this solution here didn't result in the best outcome. The script takes a long time especially if there are many tracks in the list.

My current solution is using a hotkey that runs this comment:

ContextMenu ITEMMODE LABEL "Play in Winamp"

I would prefer though that a simple Enter-keystroke would do the same.
Also Shift-Enter is supposed to run the command "Enqueue in Winamp" which also exists in the context menu.

In "File Types" I only see events regarding mouse clicks.

Is it doable?

Thanks!