Opening passworded archives with password list?

Background:
I have a program that takes a list of passwords and then tries them until it finds the correct one. I also use winrar which allows me to store my passwords and then select from that list which password to use.

I like the transparent way opus handles archives, but I can't see how to store passwords.

Questions:
I would love to have a list of passwords that opus uses to automatically open my archives is this possible?
If not, is there a way for opus to show me my list of passwords so I can easily pick the password?

No, Opus won't do that. But you can use a password manager instead. If it's one of the more sophisticated ones that can inspect the on-screen prompt's controls and text, you could set it up to auto-type a password based on what's being opened.

In Customize mode, drag the text file to a toolbar to create a button that opens it.

I think this will be good enough for the ones I commonly use. And I can use my other program when I batch unarchive them.

Sorry, another quick question. will this make the text data part of opus, or will it rely on the text file existing?

For example, can I delete the file after I make the button? When I back up all my opus settings and put on another machine will the passwords carry over or will it be linked to the original file and be broken

(I guess I will find out in 20 minutes when I have a chance to make the button.)

The button will be the same as double-clicking the file.

You can move the file into your Opus config directory if you want it to be part of the config. Type /dopusdata/User Data into the path field and push return for a directory within the config area which is intended for your own files of any type, and where anything placed there is included in config backups &
USB exports.

Thanks, that might be best. I was also thinking about putting the file on a network drive that both computers have access to, but then when I'm on the go with laptop I won't have access to that drive. So config will probably be best.

Is there any point having encrypted archives if the password is sitting in a text file on the same machine as the archives? :slight_smile:

The archives come from other people and I have to unpack them and the contents are stored on my machine unencrypted. Each person uses a different password so it is hard to remember them all.

1 Like