Opus crashes Vista x64 SP2

Hi,

Since installing Vista x64 SP2, Opus crashes intermittently when right clicking on a folder in the folder tree :

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BEX64
Application Name: dopus.exe
Application Version: 4.0.1.17
Application Timestamp: 49af45f9
Fault Module Name: uxtheme.dll_unloaded
Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 4791adcc
Exception Offset: 000007fefbec2368
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Data: 0000000000000008
OS Version: 6.0.6002.2.2.0.768.3
Locale ID: 2057
Additional Information 1: 17e3
Additional Information 2: 9203c44dc1361574d6a262f8959cb429
Additional Information 3: 6b5e
Additional Information 4: 19371fd916fe49b2020f26725b074d86

Any suggestions?

regards

Paul

Follow the steps in this FAQ and let us know what you find:

Crash, exit or high CPU usage when right-clicking certain files

Edit -- See also this thread: Directory Opus 9.1.1.8.3352 Crash

I'd like to add that DOpus 9.1.1.8 crashes Explorer.exe on both Vista SP2 x86 and x64 when right-clicking on the desktop.

I found out that the desktop context menu items are the culprit, so I disabled them and since then the problem disappeared.

I can't reproduce the desktop menu crash after installing Vista SP2 x86.

Do you have any layouts defined? If so, what are their names? (Any with '&' or other symbols or non-ASCII characters in them, in particular?)

What other third-party/add-on stuff appears in the affected menu? Maybe the problem occurs due to a combination of Opus and something else. I've got the NVidia Control Panel, Tortoise SVN, Adobe Drive CS4 and DreamScene extra items in my desktop context menu so it should be safe to ignore them.

Installed Vista SP2 x64 on my laptop as well now and no crash on that either. That has an ATI item in the desktop context menu instead of NVidia, so that can probably be ruled out as a potential conflict as well.

I just realised that the root post's problem looks like the issue caused by a recent update to O&O Defrag:

[Directory Opus 9.1.1.8.3352 Crash)

Edit: I just realised I'd already linked to that thread. :slight_smile: Can people seeing the crash that W0lfdale reports say if they are using O&O as well? Then we know if there's a connection or if it's a separate issue.

Thanks leo, you directed me to the real culprit (may be the combination).
Actually both installs x86 & x64 were vanilla plus the nVidia Control Panel Desktop Context Menu Item, so I disabled the item implemented in the shell extension (nvshext.dll) and explorer.exe stopped crashing.

BTW, the nVidia driver is the latest one v185.85 x86/x64.

So, is it nVidia's or combination of nVidia & DOpus' problem.

You're right. Seems like it is triggered by the NVidia item.

I was on the 182 drivers and had no problems (Vista x86 SP2, Opus 9.1.1.8).

I just upgraded to the latest 185 NVidia drivers and now I get the crash as well, having changed nothing else.

It's happening when the context menu is cleaned up which makes me wonder if it's a stack corruption. Difficult to say for sure, though.

Anybody on the 185 NVidia drivers but using Vista SP1 rather than SP2? Does the problem happen for you, or does it need the combination of Opus + NVidia 185 + SP2?

It's also worth noting that turning off the "Add Desktop Context Menu" option in the NVidia control panel isn't enough. The shell extension which adds the item will still be called even when the option is off, it just won't add anything.

You can disable it easily using ShellExView or SysInternals' AutoRuns tool (shown below).

As a bonus, after disabling the NVidia item the Desktop context menu will appear instantly rather than taking a couple of seconds. (God knows what the NVidia shell extension does which takes so long considering it only adds a static menu item!)

I'll look into this more tomorrow to try and see if I can prove exactly where the problem is.

After a long day of investigation we've found the problem and a fix has been written for inclusion in the next Opus update, which should be released fairly soon.

The problem appears to be triggered by a recent change in NVidia's context menu code, but the fault lies within Opus. Until the Opus update is released you can avoid the crash by disabling either the Opus or the NVidia context menu items, as discussed above. Once the update is released you can use both again if you like.

(Though you might like to leave the NVidia item disabled anyway, if you don't use it, as it causes the Desktop context menu to take about a second to appear.)

[b]A summary of this issue, along with better instructions on how to work around it for now, has been posted to the Opus news blog:

blog.dopus.com/2009/05/heads-up- ... crash.html
[/b]

UPDATE: Fixed in Opus 9.1.2.0