Opus crashes when I launch it

Hey,

Whenever I want to launch Dir Opus, it opens in a flash and closes immediately, there is no process that remains, nor is there a tray icon.
The trial is coming to the end (6 days remaining) and I havn't requested an evalutation certificate.
This is the second time it seems to crash when it gets close to the end date (on my laptop and on a friends PC).
I was thinking of buying this great application, but now I saw it crashes, and I can't fund a way of getting it to work again, I'm seriously doubting it.
Even when I remove the settings dir it doesn't work.
When I remove the stockcert.txt file, it gives the window to enter a new certificate, but I can't get more from the program at the moment.

Thank anyway to just read this :slight_smile: and now I hope to get a solution :slight_smile:

Off course I have read the FAQ and used the search, but I couldn't find a thing related to this :slight_smile:

Greets,

Ze0n

Have you checked the FAQs on crashing when viewing a certain directory (*) and on Zone Alarm (if applicable) and sudden certificate expiry?

(*Try doing Start -> Run and then enter C:\ in the box to make Opus load and display C:. It might be a file in your default directory that's causing the crash; if so the FAQ has some suggestions for tracking it down.)

If none of those steps work your best bet is to contact GPSoft directly to see if they can help diagnose the problem. It's probably outside of the ability of any of the users here, myself included.

My registration got "lost" when I tried to open DOpus and of course wouldn't run. It said I had overstayed my Evaluation Period. Since there was no easy way to get to my files I asked for my registration number again which was sent via email. Upon getting that and registering I got a message that if this happens I should look at Zone Alarm. This is the second ZA problem I've encountered with DOpus.

OK. Since there is so much trouble with the Zone Alarm interface what are the recommended ZA replacements?

Windows firewall plus the hardware firewall in my router seems to work fine.

Of course this won't proactively block programs to the extent that ZA does (it will ask you the first time a program accesses the net, though) but so long as you trust your programs and run anti-virus, it seems like a safe enough combination.

ZA's shoot-first-ask-questions-later, "oh my god a program, running on a computer, kill it!!", approach is the problem, really. IMO it causes far more harm than good.

Maybe there are products similar to ZA which work better but I've not investigated them. It all depends whether you want a firewall, in which case a hardware router is a good bet, or something more.

[quote="nudel"]Have you checked the FAQs on crashing when viewing a certain directory (*) and on Zone Alarm (if applicable) and sudden certificate expiry?

(*Try doing Start -> Run and then enter C:\ in the box to make Opus load and display C:. It might be a file in your default directory that's causing the crash; if so the FAQ has some suggestions for tracking it down.)

If none of those steps work your best bet is to contact GPSoft directly to see if they can help diagnose the problem. It's probably outside of the ability of any of the users here, myself included.[/quote]

None of these things work, I don't use ZA, and I've tried the other one.
I'll try to contact them, let's hope they find a solution.