Opus folder content refresh speed

I have noticed that while for example deleting large amount (60) of files Opus refreshes contents of folder in regular intervals. So it looks like this: I hit delete and Opus shows half or more files gone and then about 1-2 seconds later it finally shows rest of the files are gone. I would like if it would be implemented that Opus has internally two modes of refresh: regular (like it is now) and active - which would temporarily increase refresh interval to say 500 ms until the delete/copy/move/mass rename operations are complete. Even better if some sort of refresh callback could be implemented internally that would be ideal.

Of course this "active refresh" mode shouldn't be used on slow media such as network, removable (and floppy) discs.

I honestly think this would very much improve user experience when working with Opus.

Please note: Windows Explorer never behaves like this, it displays files gone/changed all at once (unlike Opus).

Yes, it's very annoying when DOpus deletes eg. 30 files out of 60 and then the rest of files is deleted after several seconds (ie. files are deleted immediately but file view is refreshed too rarely).
I would also like it to refresh view much more often.
This should also affect changing files in third party software.

i think this "bug" was introduced with one of the last versions (10.0.3.3, maybe earlier).

I think this "bug" is normal DOpus behavior since version 9 and just needs some improvement.

Yeah, I don't think it's a bug, just how it is. I've always noticed this since I started using dopus (9). I just got used to it.

I also have noticed this (refreshes always in "2 steps"), but it doesn't take so long. Just deleted 1.200 files and DO refreshes within approx. 2 seconds while deleting.

No-one said this is outright bug, it's just a minor UX thing that needs improvement. If it will be improved sometime in the future (in Opus 11) I'll be happy :slight_smile:

You really want to wait until 2013 (Opus 11)? :wink:

You seem to know more about Opus 11 than we do.

(Please don't speculate about release dates. Other people see it and think it has some basis in reality.)

To clearify: This was just a joke, nothing else. No speculation, the truth is: Maya-calendar ends this year!

So Leo I see evidence you saw this topic but you didn't offer any explanation on what is GPSoftware's stance on this? You could at least say "no we will not change the way refresh works not in this version nor next, it would break 32768 other things and compiler would explore in fire, sorry".

Since I have linked my account I expected some official reply to my inquiry, perhaps I should open a support ticket instead?

• explore = explode

I've been busy trying to finish off some work. We've talked a bit about this internally but none of us have had a chance to look into it in enough detail to say what (if anything) might happen. Please be patient.

We read every post to the forum, but we may take a while to reply if we don't have anything useful to say yet and/or for things that take time to research.

In the next beta we'll be making some changes which should improve this.

Thanks, this is really great news! :thumbsup:

I think the problem still exists and DOpus very frequently deletes files in two steps which may be very confusing when you use filters for deletion and see that some files that should be deleted are still there.

Anyone confirm this as a problem or am I trying to work too fast?

I prepared 3 short videos (like 5 seconds each) to show what it looks like on my computer.
refresh-speed-video.zip (1.43 MB)

It's usually more or less instant for me. It can happen in two steps if the notifications back from the OS itself take a long time, but they usually don't here (that I've noticed, at least).

Yes, it still happens all the time. To be honest I didn't notice any improvement since the Jon's last post.

That was in April 2012. It's kind of hard to know whether a fix worked or not without any feedback...

Yep, people get used even to annoying things. :slight_smile:

Anyway, let's focus on what can be done to improve this.

I think that even if OS doesn't provide information on file changes quick enough, it should affect only external changes, not those made by DOpus. If I operate on files with DOpus, I'm pretty sure it knows whether a file has been deleted/moved successfully or not. And if yes, it should remove it from display immediately.

Or at least immediately after move/delete operation is completely finished (eg all selected files were deleted), if refreshing display after each file is deleted might affect performance.