Opus freezing, Explorer slow

Over few weeks Opus (12.3 x64 Build 7655) is freezing and requires ending in Task Manager. I'm using Windows 10 20H2 on a 16GB Lenovo PC with plenty of SSD and HDD space. This seems to happen when I have tried to open a new folder in an application to save a new file (in Word, downloaded or scanned). The Windows Explorer window that opens for this is very slow opening the new folder which is also slow in changing the 'New folder' name. I go to Opus and find it's frozen.

Since it's affecting Explorer as well, it sounds like a system wide issue, not something Opus is doing wrong.

That could be caused by a lot of things ranging from a bad shell extension something has installed (cloud storage software and backup software sometimes cause.problems here, for example), to a mapped network drive that's unavailable (can cause strange delays in unexpected places), to antivirus slowing things down, to a hardware error making the HDD retry a lot or fail to read/write data.

If you send us some process snapshots when Opus is frozen, we may be able to tell you what's wrong from those:

These two guides may also have other ideas, for both Opus and Explorer:

(PS: I'm assuming 12.3 was a typo for 12.23.)

Leo
Thanks for quick response. Sorry version is 12.23 (finger trouble!).
Just noticed that the freeze also occurs when I launched Opus then opened Word and then opened a word file. Went back to Opus and it had frozen. I've run CHKDSK (no problem) and the system maintenance utility which sorted some problems (CBS.log) but not the Opus freezing.Explorer itself doesn't seem to freeze (if up instead of Opus), just the Save As window being very slow and then seeming to freeze Opus.
I'll go through the guides and will send the process snapshots if still can't fix.
ATB
Turlough

1 Like

Updating the thread with information from email, in case it helps someone else with similar problems:

It's looking like there was an issue with network drives combined with VPN software, which was causing slowdowns and freezes in places. Closing the VPN, deleting the drive mappings, then re-creating the mappings with the VPN still closed seems to have resolved the issue so far, at least.