Opus in Windows 7

If you send me the config that you imported, in a private message, I'll take a look at it.

[quote="leo"]It's probably irrelevant but I had installed this update for Windows 7, which last I looked had not hit Windows Update:

support.microsoft.com/kb/961367

I don't know if that's what tekguru was talking about, and it doesn't seem related to drag & drop (but who knows). It seems worth installing anyway as it fixes the MP3 corruption issue in the Win7 beta.[/quote]

Yep that was the one, weird that it's not been throw out via WU.

[quote="corky"]
The only thing that i notice is'nt working any more is if i move the mouse pointer over a file you normaly get all the info about the file, like version, company, size etc, same goes for avi files. All that pops up now is "TYPE" or "DESCRIPTION" don't know if this is easy to sort out. ?

Just wondered if anyone else has noticed the file info problem ?

Thanks..[/quote]

Just to let you know I have the same problem
I use 64 bit Windows 7
:slight_smile:

[quote="hoonose"][quote="corky"]
The only thing that i notice is'nt working any more is if i move the mouse pointer over a file you normaly get all the info about the file, like version, company, size etc, same goes for avi files. All that pops up now is "TYPE" or "DESCRIPTION" don't know if this is easy to sort out. ?

Thanks..[/quote]

I use 64 bit Windows 7
:slight_smile:[/quote]

Same for me - the default tooltip format for some filetypes just got reset somehow. But remember, you can edit these however you see fit in the Tooltips tab of the File Types editor! Each filetype or filetype group you define can have a custom tooltip format. For example, I set all video files to just display the length in the tooltip, so I can quickly see how long a film is when I'm trying to decide what to watch :slight_smile:

Anyway just edit the tooltip format for All Files in the Filetype Editor, and fill in tags for the data you normally want to see. Then, if you want set up something different specific filetypes like videos or documents, they will override what you set in All Files.

[quote="newguy"][quote="hoonose"][quote="corky"]

Thanks..[/quote]

I use 64 bit Windows 7
:slight_smile:[/quote]

Same for me - the default tooltip format for some filetypes just got reset somehow. But remember, you can edit these however you see fit in the Tooltips tab of the File Types editor! Each filetype or filetype group you define can have a custom tooltip format. For example, I set all video files to just display the length in the tooltip, so I can quickly see how long a film is when I'm trying to decide what to watch :slight_smile:

Anyway just edit the tooltip format for All Files in the Filetype Editor, and fill in tags for the data you normally want to see. Then, if you want set up something different specific filetypes like videos or documents, they will override what you set in All Files.[/quote]

In my case it does not seem to make any difference how I set ‘File Types: Info tip’
Nothing except a thumbnail & picture size is shown.
:frowning:

It seems like tab characters in the infotips break them on Windows 7.

The default Opus infotips for images have lots of tabs in them, so that the columns of data line up. On Windows 7 after the first tab character is printed none of the data after it is processed.

So for now you can work around this by editing the infotips and removing the tabs.

I'm keeping a list of Windows 7 Beta issues so that GPSoftware are aware of them. I'll add this to it.

I hope everyone is reporting these bugs to Microsoft!

Reporting things like crazy here, you can be assured!

I burned the beta iso and booted it.
It's looks very much like the Vista boot DVD at first glance.
I'll have a test board running of my Jetway mini-ITX within a few days.
I'll try it then.

Jon,
I'll see what I can find and report it, but I think this machine may really become a Linux Server in the end.

I don't mean to get this thread off topic, but has anyone noticed that the number of posts indicated by a forum member's profile don't always match the number of actual posts found ?

hmm, i got another 2 bsod's last night within 15 mins of each other, and i had opus opened up at the time, and was listing some files on my nas drive.

So for a test i have uninstalled opus just to see if the problem goes away.

keep you posted.

Even if only Opus triggers it, the bug will be in the OS, filesystem or network drivers being used to list files on the NAS drive.

There's nothing an application like Opus can do to cause a BSOD. If an application crashes then you'll see a normal crash window/message and that app will be terminated. BSOD are kernel-level crashes where a driver or the OS itself has crashed.

So it's definitely a bug which should be reported to Microsoft (and/or whoever made the network drivers you are using, if you have installed some that didn't come from Windows Update) whatever it is that triggers it.

Anyone remember how long it took to get various VPN apps certified for Vista? Some packages STILL aren't 'official' for Vista... I'm hearing it's sort of starting again with Windows 7 - including BSOD's. VPN "fat client" software that is "driver" based is a good example of what Leo's talking about in differenetiating betwwen "types" of apps that can destablize the Kernel and cause BSOD's vs just "crash and terminate"...

[quote="leo"]Even if only Opus triggers it, the bug will be in the OS, filesystem or network drivers being used to list files on the NAS drive.

There's nothing an application like Opus can do to cause a BSOD. If an application crashes then you'll see a normal crash window/message and that app will be terminated. BSOD are kernel-level crashes where a driver or the OS itself has crashed.

So it's definitely a bug which should be reported to Microsoft (and/or whoever made the network drivers you are using, if you have installed some that didn't come from Windows Update) whatever it is that triggers it.[/quote]

Ok thanks for that, yeh i have sent the error report to microsoft anyway.

Cheers :smiley:

I'd like to come back to the drag/drop issue I've been having. I thought I had solved it, but I was wrong. Still, I have narrowed the problem down a bit more.

Here's what I know:

If I have the left-click drag/drop set to the default value, nothing happens when I drag/drop.

If I have it set to Copy HERE, nothing happens.

If I have it set to Copy MOVEWHENSAME, it moves when I drag/drop to the same drive, but nothing happens when I drag/drop to a different drive.

So something is obviously screwy with the copy function. BUT - if I right-click drag/drop and select Copy Here, it copies just fine!

Similarly, if I try to drag a file out of WinRAR and into a folder on C where my %temp% folder is, nothing happens. But if I drag a file from the archive onto another drive, it works fine.

Now here's the real mind twister - if I load the default config file, everything works just fine. I only get the problem when I load the config file from my XP install!

It took me months of tweaking and adjusting to get this config where I want it to be. There must be a way to fix this. The drag/drop section in both configs is the same for All Files, and for All Files and Folders. I even tried copy/pasting the AllFiles.oxr What could possibly be happening?

I've not had a change to look at your drag & drop config yet, sorry. Won't for the next few days either now, unfortunately.

One thing, though, Copy HERE isn't the command you are looking for. If you want the drag & drop action to do a copy then the command is simply Copy while a move is Copy MOVE and move-when-same is (as you have it) Copy MOVEWHENSAME.

The Copy command's HERE arguments is for copying files (with different names) to the same place that they are already; i.e. for duplicating files. The Copy HERE command isn't related to the drag & drop menu called Copy Here (the "here" in the two cases/contexts means different things).

You could try turning on logging and see if, in fact, anything does happen at the times when it looks like nothing does.

I tried your suggestion jon. The log shows entries for files moved within the same drive, but there are no entries indicating failed drag/drop copy actions across different drives.

Eureka!

AllFilesystemObjects.oxr was the culprit.

I deleted it, restarted Opus, and all is well. I'll use my backup copy to go through and add them back one at a time, see if I can figure out exactly what causes the problem.

But for now, I am truly relieved to have my drag/drop back. I'm amazed at how much I missed it!

If you can PM me the one that doesn't work I'll have a look and see if there's a bug that needs to be fixed.

Hopefully I'll be running the Windows 7 beta within a day or two.
I have a test board machine almost completed.

The little USB flash drive visible here contains a bootable 4GB micro SDHC card containing the Windows 7 beta iso.
It does boot on my Vista Machine.

The Hard Drives are the real laugh here.
I didn't have a spare SATA drive, so I'm using a 40GB Matxor PATA and a 20 GB Quantum PATA.
The drive are wiped clean and are waiting to go.

The hard drives are elevated above the test board by driiled out aluminum thumb screws that are used as spacers on the securing machine screws.

I need to connect the power leads to a Type N coax connector.
I have the 5.5mm x 2.5mm connector and wiil do it fast and dirty using matching blade connectors and an old 35mm film canister as the insulating container.
This then connects to an 8.5 amp 110 watt maximum AC-DC converter.

If it doesn't work I do have an old 24 pin power supply from a cheap Antec case ......