Opus in Windows 7

No his name is Steven Sinofsky.

Hi guys glad to see you playing nicely.

One of the official MS Windows 7 testers here. Installed DO right away and so far everything is working perfectly excepting if the system folders are replaced - as has been stated above if these are replaced by DO then the shortcuts fails to open the expected content in DO listers.

No problems with copying files here, no corruption seen at all. Mind you we do have access to a couple of NDA patches I'm not sure if the public testers get.

Even the extra options in exe compatible modes are there and work, so looking good to me apart from the folder replacements.

Hmmm .... sounds pefect for my Jetway Mini-Itx J9F2-KHDE with Intel T7200.
I'm downloading it now, although I still have thoughts of using Linux.

I'm a bit of an amateur machinist as of the past year and having been unable to find a case for it that I really want, I have decided to build my own.

It's not really funny, but I bought this in the dark days after my Sis almost died of an OD of some morphine prescription for back pain.
I went a bit off my head for a while and bought this with the intent ( at the time ) to build a well thought out rover.

Well, I still have a few good ideas from then and a few electronics surprises in the works too.

Thanks Much !

It's worth noting that if you install Windows 7 beta then you're going to have to reinstall the OS when the final version comes out:

From here: microsoft.com/windows/window ... tions.aspx

[quote="leo"]It's worth noting that if you install Windows 7 beta then you're going to have to reinstall the OS when the final version comes out:

From here: microsoft.com/windows/window ... tions.aspx[/quote]

Not a big deal IMO. In my experience a full, clean install is the best way to install Windows in all cases anyway.

I'd be interested to hear what kind of improvements we can expect to see in DOpus when Win7 is released. Libraries support seems obvious but it would be nice to see it fit in better with the Win7/Vista theme, support the Windows Search etc.

Interesting... Well perhaps the patches that are not yet public have taken care of the drop handler issue. Of course, nobody has confirmed a problem with it. Am I alone in this issue? Drag-drop with the left mouse button simply does not work (both into Opus from archives, Explorer, etc. and between Listers and Panes). Right-click drag/drop, however, works fine.

Regarding reinstalling, won't there be more beta releases, and probably even RC releases before the beta license expires? Perhaps those will come with their own time limits, and perhaps they will allow upgrades? Though they might not be as widely available as this first beta is.

I would hate to have to give up this OS for a few months between the end of the beta and the commercial release. I'm really in love with it!

Regarding Opus and 7, I hope the developers find a way to take advantage of the jump lists. Listing Favorites would be a fantastic feature!

Strange drag and drop with the left button definitely works for me.

I'd probably expect at least one more beta and then a final RC for RTM, if it follows the Vista testing pattern.

Ive been using windows 7 beta 1 lately, clean install, and using the latest version of Directory Opus. Now i have encountered twice a BSOD with a memory dump going very up to 100%. Just prior to this happening i was managing files in opus, copying, renaming etc. So not sure what's going on there, not done it since though.

I never use explorer replacement at all, but i did load my saved config from xp though.

The only thing that i notice is'nt working any more is if i move the mouse pointer over a file you normaly get all the info about the file, like version, company, size etc, same goes for avi files. All that pops up now is "TYPE" or "DESCRIPTION" don't know if this is easy to sort out. ?

Anyway as was said earlier, it's too early for support for this beta version of windows 7.

Just wondered if anyone else has noticed the file info problem ?

Thanks..

BSOD can only be caused by OS or driver bugs, not application level code such as Opus. If you didn't already you should definitely report that problem to Microsoft (and try to work out a way to reproduce it if possible) so that they can fix it.

I installed Windows 7 on a virtual machine today and did some testing with it. Filed about seven bug reports with Microsoft. Sadly a bunch of problems that were in Vista are still there in Windows 7. :frowning: Still, it looks like a good OS, although I'm not convinced it's different enough from Vista that it's worth upgrading. (Though I hear performance is improved, even from XP levels, so maybe it is worth it just for that.)

I have no problems with Drag & Drop either, FWIW.

Thank you for confirming, Leo. Now I know the problem is on my end. hmm...

It's probably irrelevant but I had installed this update for Windows 7, which last I looked had not hit Windows Update:

support.microsoft.com/kb/961367

I don't know if that's what tekguru was talking about, and it doesn't seem related to drag & drop (but who knows). It seems worth installing anyway as it fixes the MP3 corruption issue in the Win7 beta.

Thanks for the info, Leo. I'll install that patch tonight and see if it makes a difference. I grabbed it a few days ago, but since I don't use WMP12, I have not used it yet...

Well, I have been able to troubleshoot the drag/drop problem I'm having in Windows 7. I did a fresh install, and with the default setup, it worked fine. But as soon as I loaded my config file, drag/drop stopped working.

This config works fine in XP. Something gets lost in the translation. Any ideas how I can look deeper into this problem?

If you send me the config that you imported, in a private message, I'll take a look at it.

[quote="leo"]It's probably irrelevant but I had installed this update for Windows 7, which last I looked had not hit Windows Update:

support.microsoft.com/kb/961367

I don't know if that's what tekguru was talking about, and it doesn't seem related to drag & drop (but who knows). It seems worth installing anyway as it fixes the MP3 corruption issue in the Win7 beta.[/quote]

Yep that was the one, weird that it's not been throw out via WU.

[quote="corky"]
The only thing that i notice is'nt working any more is if i move the mouse pointer over a file you normaly get all the info about the file, like version, company, size etc, same goes for avi files. All that pops up now is "TYPE" or "DESCRIPTION" don't know if this is easy to sort out. ?

Thanks..[/quote]

Just to let you know I have the same problem
I use 64 bit Windows 7
:slight_smile:

[quote="hoonose"][quote="corky"]

Thanks..[/quote]

I use 64 bit Windows 7
:slight_smile:[/quote]

Same for me - the default tooltip format for some filetypes just got reset somehow. But remember, you can edit these however you see fit in the Tooltips tab of the File Types editor! Each filetype or filetype group you define can have a custom tooltip format. For example, I set all video files to just display the length in the tooltip, so I can quickly see how long a film is when I'm trying to decide what to watch :slight_smile:

Anyway just edit the tooltip format for All Files in the Filetype Editor, and fill in tags for the data you normally want to see. Then, if you want set up something different specific filetypes like videos or documents, they will override what you set in All Files.

[quote="newguy"][quote="hoonose"][quote="corky"]

Thanks..[/quote]

I use 64 bit Windows 7
:slight_smile:[/quote]

Same for me - the default tooltip format for some filetypes just got reset somehow. But remember, you can edit these however you see fit in the Tooltips tab of the File Types editor! Each filetype or filetype group you define can have a custom tooltip format. For example, I set all video files to just display the length in the tooltip, so I can quickly see how long a film is when I'm trying to decide what to watch :slight_smile:

Anyway just edit the tooltip format for All Files in the Filetype Editor, and fill in tags for the data you normally want to see. Then, if you want set up something different specific filetypes like videos or documents, they will override what you set in All Files.[/quote]

In my case it does not seem to make any difference how I set ‘File Types: Info tip’
Nothing except a thumbnail & picture size is shown.
:frowning:

It seems like tab characters in the infotips break them on Windows 7.

The default Opus infotips for images have lots of tabs in them, so that the columns of data line up. On Windows 7 after the first tab character is printed none of the data after it is processed.

So for now you can work around this by editing the infotips and removing the tabs.

I'm keeping a list of Windows 7 Beta issues so that GPSoftware are aware of them. I'll add this to it.