Opus patch into Save as Dialogue

Am a newbie and only coming as I couldn't get a v. clear answer from GP soft.

Have had a lenghty communication with Greg Parry about using Opus to patch into the save as dialogues of other programmes such as Word etc.

When I pu this question a couplke of years ago, he mentioned a Beta tester had done or was working on this. Howvere I cant get any more informatioon on this. Except that Opus doesnt suppport this.

Is Opus only a self-contained file management navigation system?

I spend hours per week navigating to save a file in a specific directory. I would like a systme where I have access from the "save as " dialogue to my folders.

Can anyone help? Or does anyone know of a add-on that can be used with Opus? Without problems?

Many thanks

Brian

Have a look at resource.dopus.com/viewtopic.php?t=1251 and see if it's what you're after.

You can also use Microsoft's TweakUI tool to change the 5 shortcuts on the left of most Save As dialogs to point to anywhere you want.

The Opus Favorites shell extension Jon linked above is useful if you've got a lot of different folders that you need to save into, but if it's the same one every time then TweakUI may give you something that requires fewer clicks each time, although TweakUI's change may not affect as many Save-As dialogs while the shell extension should work with almost all of them.

I checked out the link Jon mentioned but that was from 2005 , I guess before Opus 8 was around.

Does it work with 8?
If so I wonder why Gre Parry says it isn'tsupported and didn't mention it in my question?

[quote="nudel"]You can also use Microsoft's TweakUI tool to change the 5 shortcuts on the left of most Save As dialogs to point to anywhere you want.

The Opus Favorites shell extension Jon linked above is useful if you've got a lot of different folders that you need to save into, but if it's the same one every time then TweakUI may give you something that requires fewer clicks each time, although TweakUI's change may not affect as many Save-As dialogs while the shell extension should work with almost all of them.[/quote]

It does work with Opus 8.

It's not supported by GPSoftware because it's not made by GPSoftware. :slight_smile:

[quote="nudel"]It does work with Opus 8.

It's not supported by GPSoftware because it's not made by GPSoftware. :slight_smile:[/quote]

Thanks v. much Nudel.

I had a quick look at the caveats and they didn't fillme with 100% confidence. As it doesn't 100% intgerate with Opus, maybe it would be better to go for another soution.

Does anyone know of any utilities that are relaibelt that would handle these functions in save as dialgoue boxes.

[quote="nudel"]You can also use Microsoft's TweakUI tool to change the 5 shortcuts on the left of most Save As dialogs to point to anywhere you want.

The Opus Favorites shell extension Jon linked above is useful if you've got a lot of different folders that you need to save into, but if it's the same one every time then TweakUI may give you something that requires fewer clicks each time, although TweakUI's change may not affect as many Save-As dialogs while the shell extension should work with almost all of them.[/quote]
Actually the Common Dialog > Places Bar tweaks in TweakUI will work in all applications that make use of the standard Windows File Requester (Open/Save As) dialog. The thing is, many applications may not use this dialog. For example, Microsoft Office uses its own similar dialog for File Open/Save As operations. Fortunately, this dialog can also be customized (though not through TweakUI). See the links below for details.

[ul][li] Microsoft Office 2002 And 2003[/li]
[li] Microsoft Office 2000[/li][/ul]

[quote]I had a quick look at the caveats and they didn't fillme with 100% confidence. As it doesn't 100% intgerate with Opus, maybe it would be better to go for another soution.

Does anyone know of any utilities that are relaibelt that would handle these functions in save as dialgoue boxes.[/quote]
Which caveats? What do you mean by "doesn't 100% integrate with Opus"?

I ran the shell extension for a while and it worked fine and did what it's supposed to do (added the Opus favourites a virtual folder shown in Explorer, including the save-as dialogs). I don't have it installed anymore as I found I didn't use it but it seemed to work fine and didn't cause any problems; just wasn't something I needed.

[quote="briant"]I had a quick look at the caveats and they didn't fillme with 100% confidence. As it doesn't 100% intgerate with Opus, maybe it would be better to go for another soution.

Does anyone know of any utilities that are relaibelt that would handle these functions in save as dialgoue boxes.[/quote]

Seriously, come on. No one's asking you to hand over your firstborn or anything. Just give it a try and see if it does what you want.

Jon and Nudel

Maybe I posted in the wrong section of the forum - I am not a developer, just a simple user.!

The instuction says itr creates a " shell namespace under the Desktop" . I cant see anything that might be that.
and then it says use under Explorer ant not DOpus (I guess DOpus is the same as Opus) - that was what I referrred to as not 100%integartion.

And then use it from an "Open or Save FileDialog" .
When I go to an OPen or Save dialg box in Word , I don't see any new options.

Am I being really stupid? Perhaps I shouldn't ask thast question.

Brian (a bit frustarted, aAND not try to frustrate you helöpful people AT ALL

[quote="jon"][quote="briant"]I had a quick look at the caveats and they didn't fillme with 100% confidence. As it doesn't 100% intgerate with Opus, maybe it would be better to go for another soution.

Seriously, come on. No one's asking you to hand over your firstborn or anything. Just give it a try and see if it does what you want.[/quote]

After you install it you should find a new "Opus Favorites" (or something like that) folder below the Desktop or My Computer (not sure which, from memory) which lists all your Opus favorites so you can use them outside of Opus (e.g. in the save-as dialog).

Thanks Nudel.
OK Now I see DOpus Favoorites on my desktop.

What Idid was go into Opus and create some favorite folders in Opus . Now I expected to see these when I opened a Word doc from the save as dialog - no such luck .
DOpus Favorites is listed and when I click on it , you know what happens , I don't see any of the folders I have listed in Opus. Shouldn't I? I tjhought that was the point. I am using Opus 6 until I get a messsage from technical support as to what the practival implaications are of using the NASI or Unicode download.

Not easy starting with this!

Brian

I think the extension only works with Opus 8...

Install the Unicode version if you're running a Unicode OS, i.e. Windows XP, 2000, or NT. Unicode apps should be a bit faster because they don't spend as much time converting strings between ANSI and Unicode every tiem they talk to the operating system, although they also use a little bit more memory because all the strings are twice the size. In reality you probably won't notice any difference between the two versions unless you deal with non-English filenames (in which case Unicode is always best).

More info here: gpsoft.com.au/UnicodeOrNot.html

[quote="nudel"]

Thank you Ill go aheda with Unicode.

And then I saw some isseus with Zone Alrm which is a "vitalprogam" for me. I am not toohappy about putting an unbknow progarmme which ZoneAlarm says may be treacking all key strokes. I am nt sure why Opus should need Internet access unless of course I want to FTP. I've never made an exception after installing Zone Alarm and allmy mjaor applications work with it.

Brian

I think the extension only works with Opus 8...

Install the Unicode version if you're running a Unicode OS, i.e. Windows XP, 2000, or NT. Unicode apps should be a bit faster because they don't spend as much time converting strings between ANSI and Unicode every tiem they talk to the operating system, although they also use a little bit more memory because all the strings are twice the size. In reality you probably won't notice any difference between the two versions unless you deal with non-English filenames (in which case Unicode is always best).

More info here: gpsoft.com.au/UnicodeOrNot.html[/quote]

Zone Alarm might think Opus is monitoring keystrokes because of the global hotkey feature. (Lets you setup a hotkey which runs an Opus command even if Opus isn't the active program. This is done using a standard Windows keyboard hook which Zone Alarm is probably jumping to conclusions about.)

As explained in the FAQs, Opus will only ever connect to the internet for two reasons: 1. Beacuse you told it to go to an FTP site. 2. Because it's checkign for an updated version (you can disable the checks in Prefs / Misc.).

Leo

Again thanks.

Have now installed Opus 8. So am trying tyo get "save as" function working.

Have added favorites under the Opus Favorites/ Add to menu. Some folders and files. If I undertsand corretly when I open a Wod document and go to "save as " then I see on the left side "Favoirites", clicking on that, then shows a shorcut to "DOpus Favorites" , when I click on that I see "10Favorites" and "12Recent Folders" but not the "Favorites" I added in OPus . I would have expected to see these. And if I click on either of these two , I get the Word error message, "File name, location or format is not valid. Type the file name and location in the correct format, such as c etc.
The whole point was to be able to save into favorites from within a Word save as box.

Either I have a complete misunderstanding or this doesn't work.

Am I presuming toomuch in hoping you can advise as you have done. It could benefit other isers too!

Re Zone Alrm
If Opus only ever needs Internet access in the 2 cases you mention below, I ought to be able to run Opus even if I deny it Internet access under the Zone Alrms window. Wouldn't you agree? I will test that.
Brian

[quote="nudel"]Zone Alarm might think Opus is monitoring keystrokes because of the global hotkey feature. (Lets you setup a hotkey which runs an Opus command even if Opus isn't the active program. This is done using a standard Windows keyboard hook which Zone Alarm is probably jumping to conclusions about.)

As explained in the FAQs, Opus will only ever connect to the internet for two reasons: 1. Beacuse you told it to go to an FTP site. 2. Because it's checkign for an updated version (you can disable the checks in Prefs / Misc.).[/quote]

After much searching and trying many things, I finally found a great solution to replace the buggy and limited Windows Common Open/Save Dialog - it is called "Vanga Rengi Mangaro for Filesystem Dialogs"

3delite.hu/Object%20Pascal%2 ... ngaro.html

3delite.hu/Object%20Pascal%2 ... alogs.html

Regarding a replacement for the Windows Common Open/Save Dialog and the small boxes it puts content in, I have been using XFilesDialog for several years, and can't live without it.

Find it at: xdesksoftware.com