Opus's icon in windows task bar

Hi,
I just updated Opus and now the icon displayed in the taskbar is screwed up, as is the icon in the upper left corner of the Opus lister window. The Opus taskbar icon is in the middle of the rectangular screenshot. And, the icon in the lister window is the square picture. Neither of these look remotely like the icon we all know and love (in the 3rd screenshot). How do I get the REAL Opus icon back (the one in the bottom-most picture)?

Thanks,
Ben

I'm running windows 10 x64, newly updated and rebooted) with 32GB RAM

See the 12.26 release notes...

Thankyou aussieboykee!!!

Absolutely HATED that update and came here to figure out how to downgrade to my old version of DO just to turn that "feature" off. DirectoryOpus Team, how about letting user choose to enable new 'enhancements' like that opposed to ramming them down our throats Micro$oft style.

I agree, making it default, especially for existing installations, is totally wrong.

1 Like

We didn’t expect the window icon, which usually isn’t even visible on the taskbar under default Windows settings, to be this controversial.

Past feedback from users was that they didn’t like the old icon, too!

We also didn’t expect that people bothered by a new change would be unable to read the release notes or search the forum to find the simple checkbox that instantly turns it off. This is about the fifth identical thread.

Lesson learned. Maybe we won’t make any more changes as people don’t like them.

Ah... that ole chestnut of blame the users over the developers poor planning, communication, and implementation strategy.

Nothing like a 'professional' responding to a critique like a child. Customers pay for licenses to use the product not the other way around. Don't get the dynamic twisted and check your condescending tone. Based on your own words, the correct path forward are to NOT automatically enable 'enhancements' that modify long established default behaviors and instead let users "read the release notes or search the forum" for enhancements and new features to DECIDE if it is something they wanted. Since "this is about the fifth identical thread" expressing disdain for a poor rollout decision take it as a teachable moment and work to do better next time.

First and foremost - why change it for existing installations? This was really the problem.
Personally for me, this feature is a complete miss for multiple of reasons - but if it had been a non-default option, nobody would have complain.

1 Like

There seems to be a market for Directory Opus Snowflake Edition.

With trigger warnings and plenty of safe spaces.

1 Like

Poor communication? It was explicitly listed in the release notes. As well as five forum threads. Not sure what else we should do here. We could put a message in the program itself when you start it, but nobody reads those; they just click OK on them, and a message about such a trivial change would make people even less likely to read future messages.

Compare this to most other software. Let's use Google Chrome as an example. You don't even get release notes. You don't even know when a new version has been installed. They change the UI all the time. If you're lucky, there will be an option buried in the huge chrome-flags page which lets you change back to the old behavior, which you might be able to find by searching the web, and which will then be removed six months later, with the new change forced on you.

Meanwhile, in Opus, it's one checkbox, which we tell you about in the release notes.

I'm honestly surprised this has annoyed people to this extent, but it's annoying for us as well, let me assure you!

Because the setting did not exist before, and has to have a default value, which is what everyone gets whether on a new config or an existing one.

We thought the new mode made the most sense for new users and wouldn't be something most people cared about anyway. Obviously this was wrong, but there are other changes you'd feel the opposite about and complain if we didn't make the default for existing configs.

At the end of the day, we can't make the right call for every user, but it is also only an icon, and only takes one checkbox to change. I can't believe how much time we've had to spend discussing such a trivial change which can be reverted by a single checkbox.

I'm going to move on to more important work now.

3 Likes

DO is not a mass consumer product. Keeping some better standards is expected.
Also, probably making installer behave differently for existing installations would solve the problem.

The discussion is also about any future changes. If you do something like this with regard to file operations, for example queue operations, making someone lose data - would it be still OK, even if release notes contained a warning in red bold?

In longer perspective, if DO becomes a Chrome-like box of surprises with release notes, would it be used by the current users?

When a major change goes in that is going to drastically modify the existing application UI and its presentation/interaction with the base OS; it warrants email communications and not just a bullet point in release notes. I expect minor bug fix notation in release notes akin to ‘we made a coding syntax error in module X at line Y that manifest in error Z in build 123 through 456 which has not been remedied post build 789’. Release notes blurbs are insufficient to communication 'By the way, we hired a new guy that had more experience with Windows dwm.exe and we made changes to the application that will now make Windows Explorer window instances indiscernible from Directory Opus windows.'

Why this was a big deal to users doesn’t seem to be resonating with you. It’s just an icon, right? It would be advisable that you spend some time communicating with your customer base and understanding their work processes and how they leverage the product before making systemic changes to the UI so as to avoid being caught off guard by the ripple effects of said application changes. If the target user base was Soccer Mom’s that 2-finger type in a user session with 4 windows open - no it’s not a big deal. However soccer Mom's don’t generally use any file directory browsers other than Windows Explorer so they are not your target audience. Conceding that point, as your product is tailored to power users and multi-taskers this was not a minor change or simply an 'annoyance'. For example, on my primary workstation where I run DirectoryOpus my setup is an Intel i9 with 128GBs of RAM pushing (2)x Quad Output Video Cards connected to (8)x 24" LED Monitors mounted on (2)x Quad-Monitor Stands. At any given time, I have over 50 separated process windows open spread over 8 screens and my Default Lister opens 18 different DirectoryOpus Listers across all 8 screens to paths like my WebDev Code Repo, the internal FTP stage, the Digital Asset repository on our Adobe Bridge Server, Code Library, Team Drive, etc, etc, etc. When someone makes a code update to ‘just the icons’ where the change manifests in way that is a hinderance to my ability to locate the window I am looking for in the taskbar; I am going to be unapologetically pissed. Such a change breaks my established working process and torpedoes my productivity so I am unbashful about being vocally bothered that I was not explicitly informed the change was coming before an update unsuspectingly modified my system in such an impactful way. Once the 12.26 update were shoehorned into my install , the taskbar icons for all my instances of DirectoryOpus became indistinguishable from each other as well as Windows Explorer windows. To me that is not a minor benign change. I am glad it was a tick box to put it back but it took me hours, several reboots, and lots of reading before I figured out where the Baby Ruth in the punch bowl came from and how to fix it; all of which would have been avoidable had proactive communication occurred.

Context is not your strength huh? Here is a riddle for you: What sound does a vinegar truck make when it hits a water truck? Solve for your personality profile...