Pickerel Explorer

WARNING * The download contains a Configuration Backup (.OCB) file:

• If you only want to affect visual settings then do not install configuration backups; only install actual theme files (.DLT). If you install the .OCB file be sure to backup your own configuration first so that you can go back to it.
  • Use Settings -> Backup & Restore to create a backup of your configuration.

Pickerel Explorer 23.08.ocb (766.4 KB)

Pickerel Explorer 24.16 (Office Mode).ocb (771.1 KB)

Pickerel Explorer info

Where's the theme? It's just a crippled basic config!

I don't think it makes sense to include stuff like viewer plugins in a "theme" archive. If people want those plugins, they should get them via the site so they have the latest versions of them, not the version that was put in the theme. If people don't want them, they shouldn't be there to install by accident, if someone doesn't understand what they are and thinks they are part of the theme, since they can cause problems/complications which are not worth it for people who don't want them.

(Well, that and viewer plugins have nothing at all to do with themes in the first place.)

[quote="leo"]I don't think it makes sense to include stuff like viewer plugins in a "theme" archive. If people want those plugins, they should get them via the site so they have the latest versions of them, not the version that was put in the theme. If people don't want them, they shouldn't be there to install by accident, if someone doesn't understand what they are and thinks they are part of the theme, since they can cause problems/complications which are not worth it for people who don't want them.

(Well, that and viewer plugins have nothing at all to do with themes in the first place.)[/quote]

-YagROM:
Wow! Two messages. That's never happened before.

I've uploaded a revised version of my Easy theme. I've taken your advice and removed the viewer plugin. Thanks very much for the constructive criticism - it's helpful.

Hmm! I can see where you may feel under-whelmed. Indeed, the theme uses the default colors; however, the point of the Easy theme is to install the "configuration" file to get the Easy design. The configuration is meant for easy use - especially for users that don't have a lot of experience. Many of the items have been tucked into dropdown icons, so that the inexperienced user doesn't need to feel uncomfortable - the basic icons are Easy.

If graphics are what please you, then try the included Zebra theme. One thing that I've noticed, is that the graphics really slow down the DOpus performance.

The new DO10 config has got an easy design by default. But in my opinion the new default config looks and feels just like an Explorer replacement and doesn't show the real power of DO. Also for non-experienced users it may be easier to remove functions than adding them.

If using backdrops slows down DO, you may using too large backgrounds. I release some backdrops and icons from time to time, they are all a few kbytes in size and doesn't slow down.

BTW the definition of theme confuses me everytime, because a theme is a graphical thing. But they (can) also change the config and this irritates (esp. new users).

Themes can't change the configuration (except for visual aspects of it, of course). The issue is that lots of people are uploading configurations into the themes area. :slight_smile:

As far as I can remember I downloaded some themes (and import them as theme) and also the config has gone (toolbars,...).

Those weren't themes then. :slight_smile:

Themes could change the colours, icons, fonts or backgrounds of a toolbar but that's it. They couldn't change the toolbars themselves.