Plugins (C#): Help writing alternative source-code viewer

(This sub-thread was moved here, out of the Syntax coloured source-code viewer (32 & 64 bit) plugin thread.)

That’s a great little tool. It’s a shame that the language config is stored in the SourcePreviewHandler.dll.

In case you didn’t know, this tool uses the Scintilla.dll viewing engine which is also what Notepad++ uses. Notepad++ stores its config in XML files langs.model.xml and stylers.model.xml. This same exact same config is stored in the SourcePreviewHandler.dll.

It would be a nicer if the config was move to similar files, then we could add languages that were not included, or just copy it from notepad++.

I have not tried to create a Windows Preview Handler, but am interested. Seems to me that a lot of the work is already done, Scintilla.dll can display and format the text, Notepad++ has config for many different languages.

Would anyone be interested in working on one?
I prefer to use C#.

I am happy to answer any questions you have about writing Windows preview handlers or Opus viewer plugins.

If you're planning to use C# then writing a preview handler is definitely the way to go.

There are samples out there for writing C# preview handlers and I get the impression (from a quick search) that Scintilla has .Net bindings, so it should be a pretty simple thing to do.

I'm not sure that C# is the best way to go in terms of making a preview handler that opens quickly, but maybe it'll be fine.