Plugins: Considering a VIM file viewer plugin

Hi Guys,

I'm pretty new to DOpus but I already have an idea for a feature that would make it much more powerful.

Unfortunately, I don't have an idea of how much effort that would be. But isn't it possible to integrate the popular file editor VIM as a viewer plugin ?

Vim, especially since version 7, has so many amazing features, it perfectly goes along with DOpus ! Apart from that it's open source. So developers have full access in order to make it run as a plugin ?

I haven't found too many user-created plug-ins for DOpus so I was wondering whether there is a guide or wiki that helps developers getting started ?

With the help of some guys here I might want to make the VIM plugin my hobby-project since I currently lack one ...

Looking forward to your feedback !

[Moved to the Developers forum]

There's a Viewer Plugin SDK which you can download from the main GPSoftware downloads page, near the bottom:

gpsoft.com.au/DScripts/download.asp

It comes with source code to at least one example plugin as well as API documentation. You can find the source code to further viewer plugins at my own site:

pretentiousname.com

The NFO plugin might be a good place to start if you want to look at writing a text editor since it's a very simple plugin and it deals with text files rather than images.

You should probably also have a look at the Source Code Viewer plugin by James Dickson:

[Source Code Viewer Plugin)

The SCV plugin doesn't come with source-code (as far as I remember, at least), but it is a fully fledge text editor, based on the SciTE editor, that runs as an Opus viewer plugin and does a few clever things. For example, you can "undock" it into a separate window and it's also intelligent about asking if you want to save when you navigate to another file, even if it triggers a different viewer plugin to be invoked in its place.

PS: Will we have to type :q! to exit the Vim plugin? :slight_smile:

PPS: If you want to support Unicode (definitely a good idea to built it in sooner rather than have to worry about converting things later!) you might find Nosh's Unicode conversions of my plugins a better starting point than my own source. (When I get time I'll integrate his changes with the versions on my site but that hasn't happened yet.)

resource.dopus.com/viewtopic.php?t=2555