Problem with djvu plugin

I wanted to use the dopus quick viewer on djvu files so I installed the DjVu shell extension pack from cuminas.jp/en/downloads as suggested here:

pretentiousname.com/activex/index.html#djvu

I was then able to view djvu files using the dopus view button, but it would display only the first page. You can shrink, zoom, and rotate the first page, but that is it. I tried all the buttons and all mouse and keyboard actions I could think of, but nothing caused the view to advance to the next page. Seem like kind of a useless plug-in to me.

So then I tried the alternate solution suggested which was the browser plugin. The install instructions are a bit unclear, but note that where is says that you need to modify the Generic ActiveX (32-bit) line in the ActiveX plugin's config, that won't work for the 64-bit operating systems that most of us use these days. (Of course you need to modify the Generic ActiveX 64-bit line). Once I did that, the djvu viewer worked fine, and it does include buttons for advancing pages. I would still like to know how to get the shell extension pack working in case anybody knows how to do that. (It was suggested the viewing is smoother using this extension pack).

Thanks
~Paul

Not necessarily. You need to edit the line that corresponds to the type of viewer (32-bit or 64-bit) you have installed and want to use.

On 32-bit Windows, there is only one line ("Generic ActiveX") since 32-bit Windows can only run 32-bit software. On 64-bit Windows, you can run both 32-bit and 64-bit software, so there is a choice of which to try, and some viewers still only come in 32-bit versions (some are only 64-bit, and some install both).

ActiveX viewers have tended to remain 32-bit because that makes them work with 32-bit Internet Explorer, which is still the version most people use.

Opus and the ActiveX plugin just host the DjVu viewer in their window. How the DjVu viewer reacts to mouse and keyboard input is up to it and outside of our knowledge or control, but may be something the authors of the viewer could explain (or may already have explained if there's documentation for it somewhere, but I'm not familiar with it enough to know, sorry).

Not necessarily. You need to edit the line that corresponds to the type of viewer
(32-bit or 64-bit) you have installed and want to use.

Yes, on the download page it asked for your OS type, and I selected 64-bit windows, so I assume that's what I downloaded.
I attempted to modify the 32-bit configuration line, both because that's what your instructions implied I should do and also because there were already lots of things on that configuration line whereas the 64-bit configuration line was empty. However what worked was to modify the 64-bit configuration line. (When I tried to modify the 32-bit line it gave me an error message of sorts).

may be something the authors of the viewer could explain (or may already
have explained if there's documentation for it somewhere

I checked their web site and unfortunately there is no documentation for the shell extension package.
The web site has no email contact information, but there is a web form contact page. I entered my question into the web form although I will be surprised if they reply.

I'll probably have to make do with the browser extension method. It works well, although there is one annoying problem. The page advance button is near the right edge of the toolbar which means you can't easily click it unless you make the quick view window quite large. (I normally use a fairly small quick veiw window on the right side.) I tried to remove some of the more useless buttons so that this would not be an issue, but this does not seem to be configurable. Still better than nothing however :slight_smile:

~Paul