Problem with SFTP connection

There appears to be some bud with SFTP with Directory Opus 11.13 x64 on Windows 8.1
When I first start the application it establishes SFTP connections with no problem. After a little while terminates and any subsequent attempt to connection to the previous server (or any server on the internet for that matter) returns the error: "An error occurred reading folder: Invalid Server name or address:" Any attempt to an SFTP server on the local network works fine.

I will include only a few lines from the log file:

Opening Connection ftp.******:22 Server version: SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_4.3 We believe remote version has SSH-2 channel request bug Using SSH protocol version 2 We claim version: SSH-2.0-PuTTY_Directory_Opus Server supports delayed compression; will try this later Doing Diffie-Hellman group exchange Doing Diffie-Hellman key exchange with hash SHA-1 Host key fingerprint is:
More lines and it ends with the following error:

SSH: List complete 189 files. send() - WSANOTINITIALISED: Successful WSASTARTUP not yet performed ** WSA returns ERROR ** SSH: Fatal: Network error: Windows error code 10093 (and FormatMessage returned 122) Closing SSH WSAAsyncSelect() - WSANOTINITIALISED: Successful WSASTARTUP not yet performed ** WSA returns ERROR ** Connection closed Invalid Server name or address: ftp.******
After restart attempts to connect produce the following lines:

Opening Connection ftp.*******:22 Server version: SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_4.3 We believe remote version has SSH-2 channel request bug Using SSH protocol version 2 We claim version: SSH-2.0-PuTTY_Directory_Opus Server supports delayed compression; will try this later Doing Diffie-Hellman group exchange Doing Diffie-Hellman key exchange with hash SHA-1 Host key fingerprint is:
And after some activity:

Connection closed Invalid Server name or address: ftp.***** Invalid Server name or address: ftp.***** Invalid Server name or address: ftp.***** Invalid Server name or address: ftp.***** Invalid Server name or address: ftp.*****

Let me know if I can provide with more info or you have any words of wisdom.

Thank you.

Are you using any shell extensions which talk to the network? e.g. Cloud storage or source control tools that integrate with Opus or the Windows shell (icons, context menus, etc.)?

It's possible they have a bug where they are uninitialising the WinSock API more times than they initialise it, which could leave WinSock in an invalid state for everything else sharing the dopus.exe process.

You can use ShellExView to see which shell extensions are on your system and try disabling them. (fully exit Opus (via File / Exit Directory Opus) after making any changes, since extensions which are already loaded won't always be unloaded until the process exits.)

There are other possibilities as well, but that's one which might explain why you're seeing this but others haven't reported it. It's also possible there's something unique about the site or some action you're doing which is triggering a bug in our code.

Thanks for the immediate response. Took a look with ShellExView. Had around 300 items on the list. That's as far as I got. Couldn't get any further... In terms of Cloud storage, I do use OneDrive and OwnCloud. I will try and see if any one of those is the culprit.

I tried using WinSCP and Filezilla (at different times) while Directory Opus was running. Wanted to see if they display the same or similar connection problems. So far it seems that only Directory Opus drops the connection and is unable to re-establish a SFTP connection until the application is restarted. Both WinSCP and Filezilla did not exhibit any connection problems.

Have you changed or added any extra files in your Opus folder? FTP all of a sudden stopped working

No extra files in Opus folder...

It's likely to be one of three possibilities:

[ol][li]Something is blocking Opus from using any network APIs. e.g. A firewall or antivirus tool.[/li]
[li]The WinSock DLLs are damaged, which can probably be fixed by repairing Windows.[/li]
[li]A shell extension is messing up the WinSock DLLs within the dopus.exe process (e.g. by calling the Uninitialize function more times than it calls the Initialize function). ShellExView can be used to disable shell extensions. Any which talk to the network would be the most suspicious, e.g. cloud storage, source/version control extensions. Quickest way to test is to disable almost everything except the Microsoft and Opus extensions, then reboot, and see if it helps. If not you can re-enable them all and reboot again to get back to normal.[/li][/ol]

A work colleague is reporting to me the same Directory Opus behavior. SFTP connection closing and does not re-establish until Opus is restarted. So, different machine... mentioned possibilities 1, 2 are not applicable.

I will try to see if I can get some useful information with ShellExView.

All 3 may still apply if it's something in common with your machines.

Along another track, are you both seeing this after using the same server? A 4th possibility is something to do with the server is triggering a rare bug in our SFTP code.

Hi folks,

is it also possible that this problem depends on the weather? Same message here "Invalid Server name or address: [SERVER]" ...yesterday (all the day). Today all functions working fine.

Since a few weeks/month (update to 11?) this happens sometimes. No specific reason found.

ciao, Stefan