Problems with V 9

I updated to V9 last week and it is causing me nothing but grief. The main problem is that when I click on any of the menu buttons, like FTP, an action is performed before a selection is made. For example, let's say I have 10 ftp accounts in that list. Sometimes when I click on the FTP button, I can move the mouse to the account I want to open, click on it and it will open. This is the normal behavior. But sometimes, when I click on the FTP button, the site that is under the mouse will open. That is not right. The same thing happens for other buttons too, like the Replace option on a copy. There doesn't seem to be any pattern as to when it will happen. I've tried isolating it but it just seems to happen randomly.

There is also the problem of one of my buttons not working. I have a button set us as:
Set FLATVIEW=On,MixedNoFolders SORTBY=modified SORTREVERSE=On

That should switch to flat view and sort the contents by last modified, reverse. It always worked in V8 but not it sorts on the Name field.

The last problem is that DO responds very slowly after time. If I reboot, it responds as expected. But by the end of the day, I usually have to reboot again to keep it usable.

Nothing else has changed on my computer. It was all working fine under V8 and all I did was upgrade to V9. I tried rebooting, as mentioned, and also re-installing. I submitted a support ticket and received a reply form Jon on the 18th but nothing since. I'm hoping someone here has an idea as to what to try next since I can't continue to run like this. I never realized how much I depended on DO until now, when it is not functioning properly.

Strange problems can be fixed by reinstalling DO :unamused:

Try checking the digital signature of the program to see if something in the program folder is corrupt...

The first has already been done.

How do I do the second?

Information on checking the digital signature is here.

[resource.dopus.com/t/ms-dos-style-short-file-names/3710/1)
[Strange behavior in DOpus 9.0.0.1)

Not sure if that's your problem though. I just tried your button here and it works as expected.

The menu and replace button problem sounds more like an issue with your mouse/drivers than anything else.

Thanks for the link. The signature is OK. I agree about the clicking problem execpt that minutes after V9 was installed, the symptoms appeared and no other program is displaying the same symptoms. One thing I noticed is that V9 is a lot less responsive than V8. I was just playing around with the FTP button and noticed that the dropdown list doesn't display right away. I was able to make it fail a few times doing this. I just mention it in case anyone else is having similar problems.

Opus 9 shouldn't be any slower than 8, and is faster in a few ways. Sounds like something's going wrong in this case. If you open Task Manager, is Opus or anything else using lots of CPU when the system appears to be idle?

No, there is nothing out of the ordinary there. System Idle above 95% for the most part. I just went through my nightly reboot since the system had once again slowed to a crawl. Before doing anything, if I tried opening a search window in DO, it would take almost 10 seconds before the window would open. Task Manager didn't show a problem. So I started exiting programs one at a time and then checking DO with ctrl-F. All user programs were killed off. All I had left were three listers. I exited one - no change. I exited the next and the Find window opened in under two seconds. So that second lister was looping and causing the problem. I don't suppose there is any DO tool to find out what is going on with it is there? Like I said, this is nightly, or close to it. Now that I know I just need to close DO, it will save me a little work but I sure would like to get to the botom of at least one of these problems.

For the clicking on buttons problem, I have found that if I click and keep the mouse button depressed, the problem doesn't happen. I can scroll down to the item I want. The problem is that not all items are visible and the list doesn't scroll in that condition so many times it won't work. If I just click on the part of the button that should cause it to display a dropdown list, it sometimes will display the whole list. But many times it just picks an item and opens it.

There must be some pattern to what's being displayed in the lister(s) that cause the problem, e.g. certain directories, certain files, or certain types of files. Narrowing it down can be difficult sometimes but disabling all plugins, via Opus preferences, and disabling the "shell image extraction" option in preferences (type it into the search filter to find it) are a good place to start.

It sounds like you are moving the mouse before the button has been released, then releasing the button a moment later. I do that sometimes as well. I think Opus should probably ignore the selection if it's made a split second after the menu appears but, at least in my case, it isn't strictly Opus's fault as I am moving the mouse too soon. (Alternatively, hold the button down until you reach your selection.)

We talked about that some days ago and you're right. What makes me wonder, is that this never happened before with DO8. Also that others seem to have the same problems.

[quote="nudel"]It sounds like you are moving the mouse before the button has been released, then releasing the button a moment later. I do that sometimes as well. I think Opus should probably ignore the selection if it's made a split second after the menu appears but, at least in my case, it isn't strictly Opus's fault as I am moving the mouse too soon. (Alternatively, hold the button down until you reach your selection.)[/quote]That appears to have been the main problem. Now that I have slowed down to work with DO, and accepted that V9 responds slower than V8, I am not having most of the problems. I've never heard back from Jon after his initial reply to my problem. Since this is a known problem here, I wonder if he is aware of it. It would have saved a lot of aggravation knowing the problem existed up front. In any event, thanks for the help. It has gotten me a little farther along.

I don't suppose you (anyone) have a guess as to why my button doesn't work for me, do you? I am thinking of removing DO completely and then re-installing it as new. Assuming everything works correctly after that, what part of restore would I select to reload my toolbars (assuming I can)? I would like to restore it one section at a time (finer sections that are declared in the restore function) to try to isolate the problem. Is that possible?