Profile system folder icon

On Win10 / WinServer 2022 Profile folder is displayed in Folder Tree and Preferences with a nice-looking icon:

However, on my main Win11 machine it has no icon at all, and is displayed as a generic folder:

This of course can be a thing broken in Windows itself, but would be nice if you could improve somehow on it. I'd like this folder to forcefully display an user icon like on Win10.

Also, on both Win11 and Win10 C:\Users<username> folder has no icon in Windows Explorer (so I'm not sure from where exactly does DOpus get the icon if it's not on the folder itself):

Like Explorer, Opus just shows the icon assigned to the folder.

If it has the generic folder icon, you can change it via the Properties dialog (part of Windows and affects everything on the system) or using labels (Opus specific, and won’t affect anything else).

1 Like

As I shown in the first post, the actual folder (C:\Users<username>) in Explorer on Win10 has a generic icon, BUT at the same time it is displayed with user icon in DOpus prefs and Folder Tree.
I think the difference is the type of folder: System folder vs. File folder. On Win10 system folder has icon, on Win11 has not. Both have no icon for File folder.

Win11:

Win10:

And you can’t change icon of System folder manually, there is no such button as for File folder.

Label for Profile folder works fine, but it has few nuances:

• It applies not to System folder, but to File folder. So in Listers, the C:\Users<username> folder will have new icon, which can be undesired. On the other hand, "Folder Tree / Contents" page in Prefs displays Profile without icon.
  • Label only works if I specify "C:\Users<username>" path literally, but it doesn't work if I specify "/profile" alias. May be unrelated bug, but still affects portability.
    EDIT: Alias works with Wildcard assignment:
    But I beilieve the alias is literal enough to be used as Folder assignment and should not require Wildcards?

It's possible Windows 10 gives the virtual profile folder a custom icon but not the physical folder under C:\Users\ that it points to. I'm not entirely sure how that is configured or why Windows 11 no longer gives it an icon, to be honest. Opus just asks Windows for the icon to use for each folder.

If the Properties dialog can't change it, it can probably be done via the registry. On Windows 10, it seems to come from here:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{59031a47-3f72-44a7-89c5-5595fe6b30ee}\DefaultIcon

(Please see Editing & Formatting Tips to avoid \ and < characters causing problems in your posts.)

1 Like

You're right. Registry value on Win11 is the same as on Win10, but the icon under that ID has been replaced by generic folder icon. Moreover, if registry is changed to point to another icon, it'll be restored to original value after reboot.

So yeah, Microsoft improvement again. Will stick to Labels system. Big thanks!

1 Like