Prores in Preview - VLC

Working in an environment with Macs.

I was trying to find a way to get d-opus to preview prores files (.mov)
I've read nothing positive about this, yet it's a major codec that places use.

Is there ever going to be any support for VLC as a plugin?
On the VideoLan Wiki they do mention an Active X API. could this be utilized to invoke VLC?

Also I see in the viewers directory, j2k-codec. Is there a way to just put a prores-codec in there?

anything would be great.

Is this a special type of .mov file using an unusual codec? Or do you just mean normal .mov files (which are usually the same as MP4 files these days, just with a different extension)?

I think the VLC ActiveX control is non-standard (i.e. not using the API that things like Internet Explorer use), so it probably won't work (unless someone writes a plugin to adapt it to the normal ActiveX API or the Opus plugin API). It's also probably that Windows Media Player's ActiveX control is trying to handle the .mov type, if any of them.

WMP should be able to play any file you have standard codecs and splitters installed for. An MP4/MOV splitter is usually built in to Windows, but if you need an esoteric codec then you'd need to install something extra. (FFDShow is a package that can decode nearly anything, but I don't know if it supports Prores; I've never heard of Prores before, to be honest.)

Thanks for getting back Leo.

Prores is one of Apple's codecs. It's pretty standard for editors. In fact when Adobe tried to ditch support for it, users went nuts. So Adobe brought it back.

WMP sees it as a video file and tries to display it, but fails. The same goes for Avid Codecs. Essentially if there was a codec that WMP could access, I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem. Alas since it's a QT codec....

VLC can handle this codec. So it's not impossible for this codec to be played outside QT.

MP4 - not a problem. seeing it fine.

I'll check out FFDShow and see what's what.

I installed the demo decoder pack from MainConcept which allows WMP to play Prores. And now I can preview Prores files in the viewer.

pretty stoked about it.

2 Likes