"Querying file and folder information"...how to turn off

For some reason, in the bottom left-hand corner of the DO UI, there is a spinning circle with the mouseover text "Querying file and folder information"...
This seems to occur a lot (with much disk activity) even on local disks. I have Folders > Folder Behaviour > Calculate folder sizes automatically, turned off. Folder content type detection is turned off. Automatic loading is turned off for FTP sites, network drives and removable drives.

Is there a setting to turn off this "querying.." behaviour?

Which columns do you have turned on in the file display?

The indicator and disc access are most likely due to a column which requires Opus to open and inspect all the files in order to fill it in.

e.g. the Width and Height columns will make Opus open picture and video files.

The Description column will make Opus open lots of file types as it shows a summary of various other columns.

Video files can be especially problematic as some video codecs, which Opus will call on if they are installed on the system, can go haywire with some files. (If that's happening you can usually solve it by updating the codecs, or removing unwanted ones.)

Aha I think that was the problem Leo! I had the Bitrate column turned on, though even in tabs where there were no audio or video files the spinning circle came up occasionally. But I think this has solved the problem!

Many thanks! Hadn't even thought of column settings!

1 Like

Help!!! Please let me turn this OFF! It has been running for hours now and it makes DO unusable. Also, while this is on it constantly uses 25 % CPU power, about 400 MB RAM and nearly 600 MB pagefile memory.
I don't even know what it's good for and I am sure it's something I don't need.
I have just one column, which is List, so I guess the advice given earlier does not apply to me.
Thank you.

Your status bar configuration may also affect things, since it may cause e.g. media file duration to be calculated.

If it's happening in folders with video files then it's probably caused by a bad video codec or splitter on the system.

Thank you for your quick reply.
The status bar is only set to report disk usage and the size of the file selected.
The folder where I have this problem does have a huge number of video files but the problem was only introduced after I updated to the latest version last night. Before this, I had this problem only intermittently and after killing DO and restarting it it was gone. But after the update it reappears with every start of DO. And this way it's unusable. Have switched to XYplorer for the time being, even though I definitely prefer DO.
I still don't know:

1. What is this good for?
  2. How can I stop it?
    Thanks again.

Switch to Details mode. Which columns are showing? They may be being populated/cache in the background despite being in List mode, so you may still need to remove them (or fix your video codecs, or find the file(s) which are causing the codecs to go wrong.)

Hm, upon the latest restart of DO it showed the blue circle icon only for a few seconds and then it disappeared. Good. (So far. Hope it doesn't come back too soon...)
What I don't understand is: why are you so hesitant to say what this function does? The original poster asked for an explanation, I did twice but you are not exactly forthcoming. Are you collecting data you shouldn't? Supplying them to some intelligence agency? I don't understand your silence about this.
And again: can I turn it off? If not now, will you make it possible in an update?
Thanks.

It gets file information, like media duration, image dimensions, and so on, as needed to fill in whichever columns you have enabled in the file display (Details mode) or the status bar.

Sorry for not making that more explicit; I thought this information was implied from my earlier replies.

Thanks.

May I jump in for a little question ?!
I have set the status bar to display total mp3-playing time for selected files. I do (and did) not have any columns with any media information visible.
In case there a 99,9% video files in a (network)directory, I noticed DO to scan that folder for quite some time as well (much longer than it needs to open maybe 5-10 mp3 files).

Is that because the total mp3-playing time in the status bar, also triggers scanning of video-files ?!
Maybe it is because I often switch between thumbnails- and details-mode (but for pictures only) and DO starts grabbing thumbs even those are not used right now ?!

Yes, the status bar codes show play time for any media format which Opus knows how to get it for. (This is easy to test by going into a folder with some avi files.)

Thanks for clearing that, I wasn't aware of this detail - always thought it counts total mp3-length only.

Of course!
Seems i've never looked at the status bar and playing time, when I was around the video section.. or it has always been that little network traffic display - catching my eyes first.. o)

Thanks a lot!